CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

My DS650 Build, buzzing CDI HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My DS650 Build, buzzing CDI HELP!!!

I'm very near completion of my overdue project DS650. I finally got my exhaust back and now I am wiring everything up. I connected the neutral wire and decided to see if I can get the neutral light working when I turn the key on. Well it turns out I connected everything and now I get a buzzing from the CDI box everytime the key is on. I removed the ground wire thinking it could be bad connection but it is clearly not the case.

I was able to get the headlight to beam when I turn it on, but the CDI is now buzzing. It happens to be a vortex CDI and was working fine before the build (which is like 2 years ago). Also neither nuetral or the red oil light turns on. Any help?

Old 07-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

Oh and the frame is powercoated....and I ground all the points where the subframe touches the frame, the coil area, and the main ground point located on the opposite side of the cross beam where the exhaust tab fixes onto.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Vortex made the same buzzing noise from the day I had it to the day I sold it (~3yr). WHile it concerned me I never had a problem with it. I always carried my stock CDI in my toolbox just in case. I'm not sure if the buzzing is normal. Maybe soemone else can chime in...

Old 07-22-2009, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

It did not buzz before, I e-mailed Vortex hopefully when I get home they can give me a reply. I asked a Ford mechanic bud of mine and mentioned it was a ground issue (feedback). I grounded every possible area (Where the coils bolt to the frame, the cross section where the battery and wiring harness go into, and the points where the subframe connect to the main frame).

I feel I built this too late, fewer old skool DS guys on here. I hope I can isolate the problem. This project is long overdue. I hope to bring it out and show the big beast can hang with the newer generation of quads.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Entomber
It did not buzz before, I e-mailed Vortex hopefully when I get home they can give me a reply. I asked a Ford mechanic bud of mine and mentioned it was a ground issue (feedback). I grounded every possible area (Where the coils bolt to the frame, the cross section where the battery and wiring harness go into, and the points where the subframe connect to the main frame).

I feel I built this too late, fewer old skool DS guys on here. I hope I can isolate the problem. This project is long overdue. I hope to bring it out and show the big beast can hang with the newer generation of quads.
ck all motor mount bolts, make sure they aee tight and they may need a lil powder cleaned under the bolt heads,

Old 07-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

Okay want to give back to the communiy in case someone else falls in my similar footsteps.

1- I got an e-mail from Vortex CDI and this is what they said;

"Dave,

Some buzzing is normal. This is the Voltage Inverter in the CDI that boosts the voltage from 12 to 350 Volts for the CDI output to the Coil."

DSengineer already stated he has similar effect, perhaps I had it too...didn't realize it. I know I put it on and was quick to fire it to see what kind of gains where to be had.

2- The Neutral and temp/oil light

I picked up the shop manual and read that they have polarity, so you must make sure you insert the right cable to the right spade connector. Neutral works and oil light kicks in when key turns on...

thanks for chiming in guys.. onward to completion! Will post pics and ride report.. hopefully next month it will be ready. Thanks again guys!!