CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

How long for valve adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long for valve adjustment?

Have what I belive is an 02 ds 650 thats been rode hard and put away wet. Runs ok but after some reading here I believe is do for a valve adjustment. Dont have the tools at the moment (small torque wrench and gizmo for holding the crank in place) and am debating removing the tank and all that bringing it into the shop to have it done. Can a good tech do this for two hrs shop time? That would only be a 120.00 plus shims. For that price I would let him do it.

Or not??? I can certainly obtain the equipment and shims to do this but would rather not. Looks a bit risky if you drop something in the motor.

Your advice is pre-appreciated.

Pilot

Old 06-11-2010, 12:24 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

It's not a two hour job. Front fascia has to come off, followed by the tank cover and tank. Six bolts later you have the valve cover off and access to everything that you need. 10mm socket w/ratchet, #2 Phillips, feeler guage, torque wrench, a homemade TDC bolt and you're there. Search for the valve shim calculator and other the other valve adjustment threads and all of the info you will need is there.
The Stir has compiled quite the list of links for all repairs and adjustments for the DS. Save them, study them, and enjoy the ride. These are fun rides and fun to work on.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Zrxpilot
Have what I belive is an 02 ds 650 thats been rode hard and put away wet. Runs ok but after some reading here I believe is do for a valve adjustment. Dont have the tools at the moment (small torque wrench and gizmo for holding the crank in place) and am debating removing the tank and all that bringing it into the shop to have it done. Can a good tech do this for two hrs shop time? That would only be a 120.00 plus shims. For that price I would let him do it.

Or not??? I can certainly obtain the equipment and shims to do this but would rather not. Looks a bit risky if you drop something in the motor.

Your advice is pre-appreciated.

Pilot
Call your local shop and ask them about how much it would cost to get the vavles readjusted. My shop is only around 80 bucks