CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2003 Ds650 Tach Working Now

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Ds650 Tach Working Now

Just an FYI, purchased a used DS650 baja and it had a few issues the front light on the baja would not work, the two independent ones, I had to replace the SPST relay mounted on the one light also remember there is a fuse for the lights mounted on the other light opposite of the relay. I purchased a relay at Radio Shack for $7 the cheapest price I could find with the mounting bracket on the relay. Also the Tach would not work, contacted Auto Meter and I was told I would have to go through Bombardier for the repair, yea right, looked on ebay for one and they were selling for around $100, yea right. After removing the glass cover on the tach I discoverd the circuit board is a single layer board good for me. What the end result was is a TVS bidirectional diode needed to be replaced. The diode goes across the positive and negative side of the power coming into the tach. Also with diode being bad one thing that brought me to it was some of the copper ribbon on the board was bad and I had to solder in a jumper to allow the current flow. Long story short the tack is now workin and will be returned to the bike.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Sounds like you possess the skills that a lot of folks on here have been seeking. I could probably rattle off a dozen forum members who have the Automemter tachs that have quit working. Like Hightower with his TM45 magic you should open shop and get all of these dormant tachs back in operation. Or atleast post up a step by step repair guide with pics like Eaglecollector did with the shiftfork replacement and valve adjustment procedures.
Just a thought!

And welcome to the forum by the way. Looks like you'll be a valuable addition.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer

yeah thAts a good find.Maybe one day i will get ambitious and open mine up and see if i can find something amiss.Dont really need it but since it looks cool on the bike it may as well work instead of bouncing around.Could a aftermarket SUn or autometer tach replace it?Sounds feasible i dunno,never had a tach on a quad before lol

Old 12-02-2012, 08:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the same problem my two independent lights do not work nd my tach its stuck in 2k or 3k rpms wonder if u could help me here im totally lost thanks