CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Need DS650 baja X help with randoms

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need DS650 baja X help with randoms

Hey... customer quad.

didnt start cold so I went through the carbs and such. Finally got it running. carb is ALL cleaned...very thorough cleaning just make sure no passages were clogged i ran small awg wire through all the little holes. anyways. starts hard cold...crank it for like 5min then it'll slowly catch. didn't do a compression test but it smokes bad (blue) and turns over too easy. power if fair. i suspect its time for a topend.

problem 2....

customer got a full big gun exhaust for it. headpipe was right. intermediate pipe was all wrong. no way this it the right pipe for the quad. the sub-frame goes right through the middle of the path the pipe would follow. the stocker has a wicked crook just before the silencer which the big gun does not have.
question: Is the pipe on a regular DS650 different from the pipe on the baja X? or did they send me the wrong piece with the exhaust.

also looks like the silencer isn't the right on cause when I bolted it to the subframe next to the grab bar, the front of it is about a half inch from the heel guard. no way this is right. this leaves no room for the intermediate pipe to go through.

anyone else running a big gun on the 650? pics of the silencer and intermediate pipe would make my day. I will add pic of this thing upon request.

INSITE NEEDED. Thanks guys ~ Ben

Old 03-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

nevermind on the pipe......I dub thee the friday pipe....cause that was the worst fitted pipe i've ever done. had to modify a few tabs and beat the grab bar with a hammer and its still tweaked and barely connected between the headpipe and intermediate. turd. looks pretty though. lol

Old 03-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

not sure if anyone is following... but now I'm doing a full head rebuild and bore to .5mm oversize. oy...

going with JE piston and ron woods guides, seals for the head. praying the valves aren't hammered. I can grind them but if the stems are worn then I'll need new valves at 70 a pop yikes. CHANGE YOUR OIL OFTEN PPL!!!!

more to come I'm sure. maybe I'll put some fancy pictures up for ya. lol cya

Old 03-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

following - no knowledge to help though. Sorry and good luck

Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Clean the oil strainer out for the poor smuck before you hand it back over , located at the bottom of oil reservoir(doubles as a hose fitting) a dirty screen has wiped out more than a few motors over the years.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard cold starts are a common symptom of tight valves. Did you check the valve clearance? You want to be betwen .006-.008 clearance