CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outlander 400 not running without battery charged up

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Outlander 400 not running without battery charged up

Ok so here are my details, we are in the woods, pull over to rest for a minute or 2 and then the starter wont start becasue of drained battery, but when we started out battery was just fine. Anyway I had to uset the recoil start pull rope and was murder becasue of the compression anyway got it started but then it would die everytime the electric fan kicked in. So I pulled her out of the woods with my polaris 300 xpress. Went home charged the battery and started it up and disconnected the battery and sure enough it died. Now After reading the forums here and others about this Can Am model it seemed to be the regulator/rectifier.
So I ordered another off of Ebay, got it in and put it on and still same thing no running once you disconnect the battery. so got out my volt meter and tested every connection there near the battery following up to the regulator/rectifier. Pulled one connection out (well thought it was a connection) turned out to be a fuse holder. Sure enough after checking the fuse, I could clearly see it was blown. so turns out I didnt need an expensive regulator/rectifer after all. a .99 cent 30 amp fuse was stoping the regulator from charging the battery and letting the bike run on its own electricty even without the battery hooked up (in which it should : ) So the thing is people CHECK your fuse first, none of the threads that I have read in any forums stated that there was even a fuse there or to check it first. infact you cant even tell that it is a fuse there it looks just like a wire connection. Moral of the story check the fuse. hope this helps someone save some money even though I had to spend some to learn this lesson.