CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 - Engine Squeal? Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS650 - Engine Squeal? Normal?

I have owned a ds650 for over a year. The quad runs great. The only thing I notice is a squealing sound coming from the engine during take off. Idles, drives, accelerates fine. Clutch does not slip and shifting is smooth.

I would like to know if this is a normal sound from a stock DS650.

Here is a link to the audio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq9utDoeX1s

Does Anyone know?

Thanks

Old 07-31-2011, 02:33 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

I've owned several of these over the years and a couple of them have made this noise. More like a pressure release sound or like metal that has rusted together breaking free. It normally happens after sitting overninght and heading out on the first ride of the day. Never noticed any ill effects from it and it has happened on stock and stage three builds alike.
To me it almost sounds like compression being released but all of my cams have had the lever on them.
Maybe one of the builders (Mr HP, TheBom) could explain...

Old 07-31-2011, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't ride every week, but no matter how much, the squeal is always there. After I get past first gear and moving along the sound is gone.

I'm glad to hear that this is not an uncommon occurrence.
Any ideas on how to quite or remove the sound?

Thanks for the reply.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:30 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

The noise I'm referring to is after it has sat overnight, start for the first ride of the day, put it into gear, let off the clutch and it makes this noise for about the first five or ten feet and then it's gone.
Sounds like a Wookie releasing his last breath before he passes on!

Old 07-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

LOL, Wow, can't say I've heard Chewie, but you can hear it in the youtube link above.

I have heard the classic Ds650 rear shock creak though. A little silicone spray fixed that!

Old 07-31-2011, 10:53 PM
Military Rider

Sorry, I misssed the link earlier. These things do make some noises that are specific to them and no other make of ATV. I have heard that high pitched whine that you are picking up. Are you sure it's on the clutch side? It may be the chain dragging on the guide until it picks up tension. The chain roller on these is famous for some headaches during troubleshooting too. Lots of noises due to their power and weight.
Not recommending riding without a helmet but check and see if that whine is coming from the chain side, back behind the counter sprocket.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sexy legs! LOL

I've owned three different 04 models and never recall hearing that sound on any of them even after sitting for some time.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by aceisback
Sorry, I misssed the link earlier. These things do make some noises that are specific to them and no other make of ATV. I have heard that high pitched whine that you are picking up. Are you sure it's on the clutch side? It may be the chain dragging on the guide until it picks up tension. The chain roller on these is famous for some headaches during troubleshooting too. Lots of noises due to their power and weight.
Not recommending riding without a helmet but check and see if that whine is coming from the chain side, back behind the counter sprocket.

Definitely not the chain guide, because it whines before the wheels turn. I have thought it to be the clutch. Because once it is in gear and immediately after I start to release the clutch the noise begins and continues until the stress of the take off is complete. I haven't hand any issue with shifting. No miss shifts, clutch feels like it is engaging strong to move forward. Very strange. I have searched youtube videos of other ds650s to hear the take offs. I have found two that sound like mine. But its tough to hear if it is exact.

The other thing, it seems the sound is about the same from either side of the engine. It has been tough nailing down the specific location. I thought it might be worth pulling the clutch out to take a look.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by DSengineer
Sexy legs! LOL

I've owned three different 04 models and never recall hearing that sound on any of them even after sitting for some time.
Ha, ha, yeah, I had to hold the camera in my lap to get the sound. Its a goofy shot.

Well, I guess not everyone had/has the squeal. I knew someone who owned DS650 a few years ago, But he had a very loud competition pipe on it. So I couldn't confirm if that DS had the sound either.