CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Bouncy rear shock??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:59 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to test the clutch get it going in 5th gear at lower rpm's(like 30mph) ... than pull the clutch in and rev it pretty good and drop the clutch while keeping it pinned .... do the rpms stay reved up or drop down and pull firm .... if it stays revving and feels like its slipping you need a clutch , if it grabs hard and pulls real good it should be fine.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Banned

p.s. a pipe,air filter and cdi box make this a whole new animal....

If the clutch does seem to slip you can order ron woods 60% springs. this will probly cure the slipping. also what oil did you use ? and the oil that had water in it might have contaminated the clutch fibers and might take a bit to recover ... (more oil changes)

Watch you water level closely ... if the water pump seal is out your going to get milky oil again ... also watch under the water pump (infront of your foot on the shifter side) for water dripping out the seep hole...

Old 03-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer

I'll definitely try the clutch test next time I take it out.
I used Mobil 1 10w40 synthetic
I can't thank you enough for all your help!

Old 03-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Banned

I used Mobil 1 10w40 synthetic <<<<< VERY BAD IDEA....... you have a wet clutch ! you cant run that oil the clutch will slip ..

Old 03-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

Really!? Well that sucks.. :s What would be a good oil to use?

Old 03-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Ran Honda GN4 in all nine DS's that I've owned, five currently. Some folks run semi-synthetic with no issues. GN4 is a price that I don't mind paying for as many oil changes as I have to do in a year.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Banned

well it sucks and the way your talking im betting you have a weak clutch,water in the oil and possably a water pump seal problem...

This is what I would do .. 1: order the water pump seals , 2: order ron woods springs, its cheap insurance and a very nice upgrade.

The clutch has 6 springs , I prefer to run 3 stock springs and three ron woods 60% springs. I stager them 1 stock one woods one stock ect .. works very well and if you ever get big motor mods you can add the other three springs.

oil .... I find rotella t 15-40 to work great .... you can find it easy and its pretty cheap to buy. at this point I would just ride your quad easy and warm the oil up good ,then do another oil change. leaving the oil filter alone for now. this is a good time to clean that oil screen you didnt know about....

Then you can change the oil again when you get the springs and water pump seals..

It takes a few oil changes to get the water crap out of the system ...

good luck ...

Old 03-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Trailblazer

Alright, so I'll change the oil again this week sometime. I did remove and clean the oil screen on the first oil change, I mentioned in an earlier post that it was covered with metal shavings.
I've searched the net and can't find those "60%" springs anywhere.. On the Woods Racing site they have Heavy Duty clutch spring kit but nothing about 60%..

Old 03-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Banned
Old 03-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Trailblazer

Oh, sweet. Thanks

Quick Reply: Bouncy rear shock??