CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Bouncy rear shock??

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Water pump seals are in tomorrow and just ordered the springs..
Changed the oil this morning and ya.. I'd call it oily water.. It's weird though because I haven't really noticed the coolant level drop.
Will I have to replace the clutch housing gasket? And is it possible to buy it alone?
Thanks

Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer

Needle and seat will be in on Friday also. uhhh gotta love visa lol Hopefully I won't need anything else for a while..

Old 03-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Banned

Ive changed the clutch stuff and reused the gasket and ive done them where I needed a new one. 50/50 good idea to have the water pump gasket and clutch gasket on hand if you dont want to wait.

make sure the water pump shaft isnt damaged also. it seems to be leaking pretty good if the oil is milky already or its just getting milky from all the water prior.

I like to use a brick under both left side wheels when I do this job. it keeps any oil flowing away from the work area. I use a razor bade to clean the gasket area real nice, then a clean rag with carb cleaner to degrease the cases and cover. this makes for a good clean seal.

take a good note on the position of the clutch lever(on the case side) as you are pulling it off. it will be moving. you need to reintall it at the same point when it stops moving as the cover is comming off . Its geared .

once the cover is off , replace the springs . they will be looking you in the face ! be carefull there not to tight . and dont over tighten them back on.

good luck .....

Old 03-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks!!

Old 04-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

Still waiting on the clutch springs, hoping they'll be in Mon or Tues.. I did install the needle and seat though and that fixed the overflow problem When doing so I noticed the main jet is a 190.. Is that normal? It has a k&n filter and no airbox lid.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Trailblazer

So everything is installed and it's running nice but even with the 3 heavy duty springs it still seems to be slipping pretty good. Mind you it is much better than before.. Should I add the other 3 or should I go ahead and start looking at a new clutch? Could really use your help Bartmann, hope you can find the time. My buddy just got his Quadzilla back from a full rebuild and I want to keep up with him at least a little bit LOL

Old 06-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Rather_B_Ridin
So everything is installed and it's running nice but even with the 3 heavy duty springs it still seems to be slipping pretty good. Mind you it is much better than before.. Should I add the other 3 or should I go ahead and start looking at a new clutch? Could really use your help Bartmann, hope you can find the time. My buddy just got his Quadzilla back from a full rebuild and I want to keep up with him at least a little bit LOL
i just bought my ds 650, and it needs a new clutch.. i ordered the fibers and ron woods heavy duty springs.. why wouldn't you change out the fibers while you were in there, also why would you only put 3 springs in and not all 6...???
hoping to get this all done next week and ready to rip..

did you get this figured out?? and did it make your clutch lever heavier???

Old 06-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Trailblazer

Don't have 200 bucks to throw down on new plates right now, especially since it still grabs pretty good. I actually put all six springs in, not a big difference at the lever but it definitely bites a lot better. I've replaced so many parts on this thing, finally down to just the clutch plates and rear shock..

Old 06-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Rather_B_Ridin
Don't have 200 bucks to throw down on new plates right now, especially since it still grabs pretty good. I actually put all six springs in, not a big difference at the lever but it definitely bites a lot better. I've replaced so many parts on this thing, finally down to just the clutch plates and rear shock..
Well as long as its working for you... I just purchased the friction plates yesterday, and they come to $105.00 from the can-am dealer... just to let you know they aren't $200..
Do the Ron woods springs have a heavier feel in the lever???.. because they are going in too...

Old 06-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer

Really!? Only $105, that's the best news I've heard all week. I've only been looking on ebay because everyone said it was even more expensive from the dealer. As for the lever, don't get me wrong there's quite a difference but it isn't a struggle to pull it in like some might say. Man, when you get er goin hold on tight! Lol I can't wait to get the plates so I can set this beast free! Let me know how it goes. I'm at work and now I'm all pumped to go rippin! Lol

Quick Reply: Bouncy rear shock??