CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Bouncy rear shock??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bouncy rear shock??

Hey guys, I'm buying a 2001 ds650 tomorrow and the only thing wrong with it is the rear shock is bouncy and needs to be recharged or something.. I don't really know anything about these so I'm really hoping you guys can help me out. Am I going to have to replace the whole thing or just have it adjusted. My concern is how much money this will set me back so I can negotiate the price more. Here's a pic. Hope to here from someone soon, I'm driving 3 hrs to get this thing in the morning. Thanks!!

Old 03-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Banned

the rear shock all depends on whats wrong, At least it will need a seal kit and recharge.apox $150 if it has shaft damage you can double that ... if you can get a seal kit local and talk a sled shop into fixing it you can save alot of $$..... maybe look at e-bay for a used one cheaper ..... or if you pan on keeping it spend a little exstra and have it valved for your weight and rebuilt ...

Old 03-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Trailblazer

Awesome, thanks a lot for the info. I'll see if I can get him down to $1850.. Seems like a fair price to me. I'm almost there, pretty excited! Been wanting one of these for a while and finally found a clean one for a decent price. It's going to be a good summer!!

Old 03-24-2012, 03:08 PM
Banned

whats your location ? In MN 1850 is way to high .. you can get a decent ds650 baja x for around 2g ....

Old 03-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Trailblazer

I'm in Cornwall, Ontario, Canada.. Around here they all seem to be going for around 2500. Hope I didn't get shafted lol It's done now though, I can only look forward. There are a few more problems with it than I knew about before I drove 3 hours to see it though. Tail light is burnt, the engine heat sensor thing is done so he rigged up a toggle switch for the fan, when the fuel is ON and the bike isn't running gas starts to pour out the carb and the rear shock is blown but I knew that already. I also noticed that the cap for the coolant reservoir is missing.. I'm going to do an oil change and replace the spark plugs today. Not sure what else I'll have to do, it's running pretty good though. To be honest I'm a little bit disappointed with the purchase but I'm trying to get over it because it's done and over with. I'm probably going to have to spend a few bucks to get this thing to where I would like it to be. If you guys have any tips, hints or solutions please chime in, I would really appreciate your help. Thanks

Old 03-25-2012, 11:55 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Research the carb issue. It's been beat to death but the info is on here by the boatloads. Definitely keep an eye on ebay. By far the cheapest place to pick up parts. A coolant cap and a thermo-switch won't set you back too far but the rear shock is a different story. Get one from ebay vice a dealer.
Tail light is your easiest fix of what you mentioned. LED will last alot longer than a filament bulb.
Keep us posted, and congrats on your new ride.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks so much. I'm changing the oil now and more bad news First of all, it's so grey there must be a cup of water in there! I pulled the screen and it was caked with pieces of metal.. Not good This guy probably didn't change the oil once during the 2-3 years that he had it. I got the oil filter out and now I'm unsure about the bleeding process. Do I fill the oil tank now, with the filter out, back the screw out a bit and start the bike untill a there's a steady stream?

Old 03-25-2012, 05:37 PM
Banned

you might have a water pump seal out ...

search for a ds650 manual ,,, there online ... sounds like your going to need it ..

Old 03-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Banned

and your going to need to order a needle and seat from the dealer .... thats $60 ...thats the gas problem ....

Old 03-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Trailblazer

K thanks. I have a manual on it's way and I'll pick up the needle and seat this week. I guess I didn't have to bleed the oil because the light went off after starting it. Now I have another concern. I've never owned a 4 stroke so I'm really not familiar with the way they ride but it seems like this thing isn't really pulling the way it should be. It pulls pretty hard but then just revs high. Put it this way, in 2nd and even 1st gear I can't get the wheels off the ground. I'm not sure but I thought I'd be struggling to hold on to this beast. Is this normal or does this have something to do with the clutch?

Quick Reply: Bouncy rear shock??