CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to start?

ok about a year ago i bought what i though is a bone stock 2001 ds650, and it may be stock. now since ive had it. i have replaced the headlight and cooling fan, plus oil, plugs etc.

so here the question, im feeling that the machine leaves me wanting more, or thinking it should do more. so my question would be where should i start on tryin to mod it, or bring it to life....i ride it mostly in the dunes, it doesnt seem to excel at anything, drags, flats, hillclimbs.

some of the things that i was thining about doing where exhaust, cdi, carb mod's?

but i was reading today about some carb mod's and its starting to make me worry, first it has no lid for the airbox, didnt have it when i bought it didnt think much about it at first, it also has a k&n type filter, not sure if thats consitered a mod. also the screws to the fuel bowl are completly stripped out, which leads me to believe there may or may not been some mod's/jetting done.

i guess i thought maybe it was running fine for stock, but now im not sure, i can tell you that pretty much get smoked by anything bigger then 400cc. is this how a ds should be? a part of me was thinking i may have to buy a newer machine to be satisfied, so im wondering if the potenial for the ds 650 is there.

seems to run fine for the most part, starts a little rough, it will run a little rough in the low range until its warmed up, also doesnt seem to have alot of torque in the upper ranges either,

where i like to ride is the sand dunes at 8k ft, 5th gear is useless there, i guess im needed some help or suggestions? any help? where should i start? should i replace the airbox lid?

Old 04-18-2012, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

When you say it gets smoked by a 400 do you mean another 400 utility machine or a 400 sport quad? The Can-Am 650 should give other utility machines with 700-750cc engines a good run. Tend to have most power per cc when compared with a comparable machine. K&N gets mixed reviews. It should allow the engine to breathe a little easier but requires a lot of cleaning to keep it that way. Other mods are a new muffler that has less constriction than the stock and clutch springing which I know little to nothing about. If you allow the engine to breathe easier you will have to adjust the jets to get it to run the best. Check out the belt too. A worn belt can take a good bit off the top end.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah I mean sport machine. I can handle any 400cc but any newer 450. 660. 700. Any sport quad above 400cc. Belt what belt? I'm talking about the DS 650.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok so here is where i am at, i have a little over a month to get the quad ready for the sand on memorial day. so after doing some research this is what i have come up with adding.

1. new exhaust, now i was looking at some brands such as big gun, fmf, and hmf. i was wondering if anyone has any input for the exhaust? or are they all about the same? i was gonna just go with a slip on type, but i wonder how much better is the full system? i would hate to have to come back and add that later, so im wondering if anyone can chime in on that, personnaly i think the stock head pipe/header is not too bad?

2. looking at adding a cdi, was thinking somthing like alba racing or procom. im looking for the timing curve and to rase the rev limiter. on solid ground as it sits it doesnt take me look to bounch of the rev limiter in 5th. but in the sand it seems 5th is useless. i would like to set this up to run in the sand. when in some hills i stay in 1st and 2nd. any advice on this would help too.

3. take apart the carb see whats going on/whats been done, i figure ill order a dyno jet kit, so i am able to dial it in a little more, and ill try and give the omr mod a go. since i dont have a airbox lid, and adding the pipe and chip i will need this. any advice?

4. and finally i think i will step the front sprocket down to a 14 tooth try and get a little more torque in the sand?

these parts and mods i think will cost right around 400, im hoping to see some noticable difference with that. so i guess im wondering if any other ds owners have done these mods or somthing like it, and what do you think?

i want to do more, but honestly im not too sure if it will be worth it or not.

also looking at the omr mod, does anyone know where to order online a size 40 air jet

another question looking into the carb which screw is the pilot screw, thats the screw that needs to be adjusted correct? also how do you mod the emulsion tube? or where can i get one?

thanks again for any help

Old 04-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT get a procomm, trust me on this, I learned the hard way (went through 2 batt. and a brand new rectifier). Get a Ron Woods or spend the $$$ on a Vortex. A Ron Woods pipe will also do you for now, or a big gun. Def. do the sprocket. These things are WAY heavy, getting beat by a YFZ or TRX will be the norm till you do some real eng work, then they scream!!

Then theres the whole rotating mass thing, which also pays off, but can cost some bucks to get it trimmed down, when I sold my DS it was probly about 50 or so lbs lighter. So they can be made to run with the best of em, it just takes time and money.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok no procomm cdi, so maybe ill go with a big gun cdi? and while im doing that i mine as well go with the big gun ehaust. thanks cynick anything else? anyone?

anyone know where i can pick up a sze 40 air jet? thanks

Old 04-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

My bad on missing the DS in front of the 650. Sorry about that.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Stock carb mod, Big Gun CDI, 15/42 gearing with 23 front/22 rear tires (clearance and performance), and open up the exhaust whether it be an end cap, slip on, or full system. HPR end cap does well, the Big Gun complete system performs really good, probably second only to the Yoshimura RS3. The Woods exhaust what it is supposed to do but at a price. Hell, everything is expensive nowadays. Break out the Visa and go for it...

Old 04-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

so your saying that an end cap on the stock exhaust would help alot? what kind of modificarion would be required for that? does it change the sound? im not familar with hpr end caps? is hpr short for somthing? where could i source out a 42 tooth rear sproket from ? im not really seing any on a quick search will the sprockets from any other bikes work?

Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

HPR is Horse Power Research. He makes an open end cap that along with a few other bolt on's will really wake the old girl up. The cap replaces the OEM cap utilizing existing hardware. And yes, it does change the sound. If noise restrictions are and issue where you ride then look for a slip on.
Sometimes I forget that everyone that owns these beast doesn't live out here in the middle of the desert and ride the dunes exclusively... Sorry!

Quick Reply: where to start?