CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.
View Poll Results: Outlander DPS issues- select year.
DPS Issue 2010
0%
DPS Issue 2011
66.67%
DPS Issue 2012
33.33%
DPS Issue 2013
0%
DPS Issue other years
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

DPS issues on new outlanders- Poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 02:30 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DPS issues on new outlanders- Poll

So- I bought a 2011 outty 800 max xt a couple months ago- have just over 300 miles on the atv so far- and during the last 3 trail rides, the "service DPS" light comes on, and the bars pull to the right real hard

I actually have to force the bars to the left to keep it straight! If I shut the bike off and let it sit for a minimum of 25 minutes, the issue goes away and the service light is off- but sure enough, 20 minutes later... there it is again

It happens whether I'm on a slow tight trail or an open logging road doing 35+ mph.

obviously called the dealer- it's going in next week for service.

also- have a friend who bought the same outty- and he is ALSO having the same issue with the DPS service light- although his is not pulling to the right like mine is.

I did a google search for "can-am outlander DPS issues" and whoa! tons of'em.

I see a recall or at least a TSB in the near future if not already.

I made this a poll so that I can see how many people are having issues- if you are, please vote in the poll under the model year you're having DPS issues with (if the mods feel it should be somewhere else- please move it. I thought it would make sense having it in the can-am section )

Old 07-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I haven't had it out yet. I'll have it out getting firewood with Lil Moose picking up the bucked up logs. I'll let you know if I run into any issues. Not supposed to be super hot up there though.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked around online this week as a friend of mine was getting the service DPS code and there is a recall on some 2010s and 2011s. I believe it covered all models and even said in some cases failure would cause quad to steer backwards, turn left and go right....sounds scay to me!

Old 07-09-2012, 08:23 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by Mud Slinger
I looked around online this week as a friend of mine was getting the service DPS code and there is a recall on some 2010s and 2011s. I believe it covered all models and even said in some cases failure would cause quad to steer backwards, turn left and go right....sounds scay to me!

the only recall I've found for the dps covers the steering shaft which has shattered, jamming the gears and preventing it from turning... I can't find any recall in regards to the overheating problem.

I posted the same poll over at the can-am mag site and already have over a handful of guys with the same issue...

my dealer is doing a diag on it on the 17th- should be interesting to see what they come back with.

on another note- how do you like your kfx700?
I went down to the dealer a few years ago to buy one, cash in hand, and they couldn't find the keys for it- I ended up buying a 400ex instead because I was impatient- but always wondered about the kfx700.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Well, the power steering was a Godsend. Took my son, Lil Moose, to pick up logs that I cut into firewood length and load them in the trailer behind my Outlander. Did great. And my arms started aching and cramping so I switched from minimum to medium. I must admit, I like power steering.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:48 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

I think power steering on a quad makes more of a difference than ps on a vehicle- especially in the rough trails. Steering is so smooth even over the roughest terrain.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Range Rover

This may be a dumb question, but what does D stand for?

Old 07-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

I took the KFX out today for the first time. I went from a Kodiak 400 4x4 to a King quad 400 4x4 to the KFX. I wasn't sure if I would be okay giving up the four wheel drive, and only time will tell. From what I learned today, the power is impressive and I really liked the way it handled on the trails. I know many people say the 700 isn't a sport quad, but I didn't want a sport quad. I wanted something with plenty of power, that is fun ride, that is an automatic, and this seems to suit me well after 60 miles. I will say the extra power and functional rear brakes is a considerable upgrade over both of my other quads. We are going to hatfield McCoy at the end of the month for 5 days and will ride around 400 miles. This will give me a much better idea of how I like it. I have had my eye on this model for a while but had a hard time giving up 4 wheel drive, but I finally decided to try it.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:09 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by cbrandon
This may be a dumb question, but what does D stand for?
DPS = "Dynamic Power Steering"

Old 07-20-2012, 12:31 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

just got off the phone with the dealer-
they said the dps motor was bad- they checked it with a meter. they have to replace the entire motor assembly- 100% warranty - not costing me a penny, not even the $50 deductable

Quick Reply: DPS issues on new outlanders- Poll