CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

At a crossroads with my DS650

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At a crossroads with my DS650

Apologize in advance for a long post...

Here's the story- I have had my DS since I was 14, I'm now 24 and it has been like an extension of my body for most of those years. However, I recently bought a Honda 700XX on the recommendation of a friend. I must say, the 700 is a great trail bike (other than the fact that it can't turn, IRS makes it push!). It revs quickly, has plenty of power, and it feels like a feather compared to the DS. I suddenly feel ALL of the shortcomings of my DS.

However, I don't know that I can live without my DS. I fit on it, and have sunk too much money into it to consider selling. Plus, I have gathered oodles of spare parts over the years. I really bought the 700XX because I was tired of my DS sitting in pieces in the garage, I wanted something I could hop on and ride at all times. CDI's have been a problem partially due to my wiring modifications, but the engine has been absolutely bulletproof. I have literally put hundreds of hours of abuse on this bike in my younger days and it has never smoked or leaked anything. The 700 will never stay together with the big jumps I have done on my DS, so it will really stay a trail bike. I want the DS to be a muscle bike that can hit the MX track better than it used to.

My signature is probably not accurate, here's what is done to it:
Custom Pro-armor YFZ 450 Pro-peg nerf bars
ASR +1 +1 Long-Travel front end with heavy duty tie rods
ASR Anti-vibe +1 +1 Steering stem (1 1/8" clamp)
SS Brake lines front and rear
'04 front hubs and spindles (mudflap mounts trimmed from spindles)
Powder coated frame, subframe, swingarm, a-arms, steering stem, tie rods
IMS 5 gallon gas tank
RAD MFG bearing carrier
TM Designworks Powerlip chain roller
Fox Float front shocks
Re-valved rear shock
Battery tray trimmed from subframe
Wire harness modified
Braking rear brake rotor
OEM Baja frame skid plate from newer model
PRM Baja front bumper
PRM Desert grab bar
CT Racing radiator scoops
HMF slip-on
Dynojet Jet kit
K&N clamp-on filter
Oil pressure gauge
Baja Tach and Dash
Pro-armor Tether kill switch
PWR aluminum radiator
Ron Wood Racing 60% heavier clutch springs
Big Gun CDI

What can bring back the spark with my old gal? I never thought I'd say it, but the brakes are awful, the front end needs tuning to steer better, carburetion is not perfect, and it needs to go on a diet. More power never hurt either...

My question, I guess, is what direction do I go next? 520 sprockets? 11-1 piston? Carb? '04/newer swingarm to drop some weight?

Thanks for any input!

Old 10-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

You will notice some gains with the OMR stock carb mod but really so with a TM45 or a Lectron carb. And I would ditch the HMF for atleast a Big Gun exhaust but going with a Yoshimura RS3 and a bigger carb you won't be displeased.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info, Ace.

I forgot to mention that I have done all of OMR's stock carb mods but drilling holes in the slide. I really need to give that a try, I suppose! The CV carb irritates me though, it doesn't handle jumps well. It stalls the motor in the air enough to keep me from revving in the air in preparation for landing/subsequent jumps. The IMS tank interferes with the Lectron, if I remember correctly. I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for a TM online, I don't know if I can stomach RWR's retail price on the kit.

Is the HMF that bad? Or are you suggesting a full system? I was under the impression that our stock header flowed very well.

Thanks!

Old 10-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

The holes are probably the most important part of the mod. Allows the air to displace and the slide and needle to react much more quickly, the whole point of the mod I believe.
If you can get the 90* elbow for the Lectron it runs the cable horizontal under the back of the tank and out of the way, but a TM will fit the same way. No interference from the tank.
Stock headers flow very well, the HMF just isn't the best pipe out there. The HMF is better than stock but if you can get your hands on the Yoshi it works very well. The Big Gun complete system is awesome as well.
I may know somebody with a TM sitting around in the way!

Old 10-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Trailblazer

I'll have to keep my eye out for a different pipe then.

I love the sound of the Yosh that came with my 700xx, it's quiet but powerful sounding. Go figure though, the 700's head pipe is a pea shooter, and full systems are the way to go on that bike. You can't use a aftermarket head pipe with a stock-replacement slip on with the 700. Hopefully I can sell the HMF on E-bay.

The HMF is really loud, I'm sure it could use a repacking by now, but do you have an idea of what is quieter for the DS, the Yosh or Big Gun? I have a feeling it's the Yoshimura.

As for the carb, I think I smell what you're stepping in. PM sent.

Old 10-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Ace, shoot for a Lectron Carb. Makes the world of differance, starts easier and so much better.
If you plan of keeping the DS, think about doing a 730 kit from OMW. The big bore kit and some head work make the DS motor really sing. I love passing those pesky little 450 up the big hills on my Old Yellow school bus.

Love Live the DS