CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Tires,pipe,and cooling questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 10:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 DS and I was wondering about several things.
1)Tires, My stock tires are loosing rubber fast! What tires work well and what size. I ride on loose coal piles and packed trails that sometimes become sloppy. I want something that is going to hook up hard and give good traction for loose hills.
2)Pipes, I would like a pipe that inceases the HP throughout the rev range and is compatable with other performance parts such as Ron Woods, ect.
3)Cooling, I here alot about the fans failing. My friend has a Banshee and we all know that they run hot, so he got a cooler that installs in the return coolant hose, he says it works well. Would this be a good idia to help keep temps down and to safegaurd incase of a fan failure.
Thank you!

Old 03-29-2001, 04:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Tires, alot of guys (me included) are going with Holeshot XCTs all the way around. 22x11x9 rear (6 Ply) and 23x7x10 (4 ply) up front. If you don't like the holeshots, there are several other brands in these sizes, I believe this is pretty much the agreed upon size of tire to get the power to the ground and assist handling.

2. For me, the jury is still out. I have yet to see a pipe with these specs:
90-95db
good HP instease
quality fit and finish (no flaking no chipping, no leaks no falling apart)
decent price.
I have seen various combinations of these, but not all of those requirements all in one package - yet. (I'm looking into the White Bros. E-Series currently.)

3. Many ATVs do not have fans, a fan is just added cooling - if you are moving the fan really doesn't do much, it does help when you stop/slow down. The device in the coolant hose - are you talking about the metal 'heatsink' that james lucky sells for like $30? Those have always looked like a good idea, expensive though. I don't think it could hurt to have it, cooler is better. I suppose the reason I have yet to try one is cost. Another item to help with cooling that I plan to get is a set of the Alba Action Carbon Fiber Radiator Shrouds. They basically funnel ALOT more air towards the radiator. go to www.albaaction.com then follow the links to the DS650 stuff. They are not cheap though, $150. Hope I could help you out.