CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

can am warrenty and different service departments

Old 08-24-2015, 01:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can am warrenty and different service departments

Hey everyone, i have been looking into buying my first ATV and found a phenomenal price on a L 500. However, from online reviews it seems many people have an issue with the place and or service department.

Forgive my ignorance but im brand new to quad ownership and im wondering if there is any issue or additional costs (if something under warrenty happens to fail) associated with going to a different certified dealer other than the one where the unit was purchased?

Old 08-24-2015, 09:03 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Your off to a bad start if you have to use the warranty at all. I had many friends who bough new ATV and none used the warranty. Most all warranties up here are only 6 months long so they are over before you know it anyways.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
Your off to a bad start if you have to use the warranty at all. I had many friends who bough new ATV and none used the warranty. Most all warranties up here are only 6 months long so they are over before you know it anyways.
I think this was more of a hypothetical question but the fact that there is so little trust in the dealer that the quad might be purchased from bothers me. I have seen a few ads from dealers a bit farther away that have outstanding deals. Some have prices $1500 less than the same quad somewhere else. If this is that kind of deal, then subpar customer service might be worth it. If its $500 less, just go somewhere else if the dealer is that difficult to deal with, its not worth the headache. A lot of the time, another dealer will match or come close to matching a low price just to get your business away from the other dealer. Some of these "super dealers" are so large and sell so many units that they can simply sell them cheaper than anyone else. It may also explain less than stellar turnaround on warranty work. Even though they may have a larger service department than most, the volume of work still probably overwhelms them and turnaround time is longer than the smaller dealers. Customer service is usually good at most dealers but you occasionally get a bad apple from time to time. Most look at the fact that you already bought one unit from them, they want your future business. They're hoping maybe you'll buy another down the road. Or want you to recommend them to family and friends to make more sales. As far as buying at one place and getting serviced at another, I'm sure that occasionally happens. As long as it is also a Can-AM Dealer, they should honor your warranty. Don't expect to be treated like royalty though, you bought from another dealer. I'm sure they will do good work on it but their own customers will get service first, you'll probably wait longer. Or they might look look at it as an opportunity to steal you away from the other dealer on the next quad by one-upping them on service. You never know.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought new XMR about 2 weeks. Already had a few little things that needed adjusted or fixxed under warranty. Most was things just not adjusted during assembly. Anyways I bought the extended warranty and my dealer seems stand up. But the thing is to find a stand up dealer who will go to bat for you with Canam if u have a warranty claim.

Most dealers sell extended warranties. But things like belt, brakes and fluids are not covered under warranty and u will pay to replace when needed.

If that dealer has bad reviews then it may be worth the drive to a bigger dealer who is set on good customer service and family owned seems to be some of the better ones.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

sorry for late response, was sick as a dog for two weeks. Hmm some good points here, i will take it all in before i decide. Still looking at different brands/models but you know the old saying, if it looks to good to be true then it is, so i was just curious. Thank you for your input.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I would pick a new Yamaha Kodiak 700 over an Outlander 500 L or even the new 570 L. The Yamaha is about the same price and the extra 200cc is a plus is my book. The old saying, "There's no replacement for displacement." applies here. It should be a much quieter engine that will require less maintenance and probably get better fuel economy too.