CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outlander L 500 Gear Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlander L 500 Gear Oil Change

Talked to the local dealer and they want $450 for the 10 hr service. I can't pay that kind of money for fluid changes. I have doubts they actually do the valve adjustments and am convinced they put that in there to scare people so they take it to the dealer. I was looking at the service manual and they take all the plastic off the ATV to access the gear oil fill location. I was looking at it tonight and it seems with a pump you could fill it without taking anything off. It seems like if it was possible I would have found other people suggesting it online so I think I may be missing something. Has anyone tried this?

Old 02-20-2016, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

It is a tough choice. To be fair though, they usually have a very large investment to cover, and they are the ones that have to deal with warranty issues etc. should they occur. So there are reasons for costs. The 10 hour maintenance includes valve adjustments. I think I know the dealer you are talking about. They are honorable people. If you think you are not getting what you pay for, ask to speak with the owner. Monte is a straight shooter. I admit, I do all my business with them, have done so for over 20 years, and have spent a lot of $ in their shop. That kind of loyalty should tell you something.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can-Am service is expensive. My friend just took his 450L in for his 10 hour service as well. They didn't charge him that much, about $150 for an oil and gear oil change. I don't think they did any valve adjustments, that would have certainly cost a lot more. I can't believe that it takes 4 quarts of oil for an Outlander 450L(at over $10/qt). My Grizzly 660 takes just under 3 quarts. $80/hr for labor is expensive but its right in the range of what most every dealer charges. He opted for the 5 year extended warranty so he's afraid of voiding his warranty. He bought his right after they stopped giving a free 5 year warranty with the L models too so he had to pay extra for his.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:34 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by greg74
Can-Am service is expensive. My friend just took his 450L in for his 10 hour service as well. They didn't charge him that much, about $150 for an oil and gear oil change.------ I can't believe that it takes 4 quarts of oil for an Outlander 450L(at over $10/qt).
I also have a 450L.
Specifications call for 3 L or 3.2 US quarts (with filter change).
The reason for a higher volume is the engine oil also lubricates the gear box. No separate gear box oil.
BTW for the 2016 thet have done away with the 10 hr service.
First service is at 50 hrs or 1,500 km (1,000 miles) under normal trail usage.
5 yr warranty included with mine at no extra cost.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah I think he somehow bought his 450L during the time when they weren't offering the free warranty. 1500 km sounds like a long way to go before the first oil change. I have read the new Defender utv engines don't even require a break in period. I'm a bit skeptical about that but that's what they claim.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:37 AM
Pro Rider

BRP has always been very picky with break in. Even back in the late 60's when I purchased my first snowmobile, they were preaching break in. I followed the procedure to the letter and never had an issue with it the entire time I owned it. NOT ONCE. I have seen where they did away with break in service at 10 hours. I don't know, I see it as cheap insurance. The valve adjustment may be a stretch, but hey, you never know. Considering how much has to come off the bike to gain access, I am betting it isn't a real profit maker no matter what. With all the bells and whistles they have on them these days, ain't nothing simple anymore. Definitely over my head with a screwdriver and a crescent wrench. I reserve the hammer for big jobs. One thing I do find absolutely mind boggling is when we spend $10,000 on a machine, then complain about spending $150 for a helmet, or we spend $500 for a service. Yeah, it is high, but when all told it isn't much in comparison to a engine rebuild if we didn't do the service. And when you are standing there with a broken part hoping to get the dealer to warranty something, even when you can't show you had it serviced... well, it is kind of ironic. Speaking of parts, accesories etc. I know dealer prices may be and usually are higher than those you get online or from a catalog. But I have found that by having a loyal relationship with my dealer has always turned out in my favor. I have had a kid smack a tree with his ATV and crack a frame, clearly his fault, and the dealer talk the Yamaha rep into warrantying the frame because of that relationship. Over the years, there have been several things like that that my dealer has gone to bat for me on. Most of the time without even asking. You can't get that kind of service out of a catalog or online. Shop local, and get the service done local too. It helps keep them in business and benefits you as well.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Maintenance and repairs are a part of owning any machine. None of them are just gas and go all the time. If you can't afford to occasionally spend a few hundred bucks to fix something that will inevitably fail, then you honestly can't afford to own a quad or utv. Even if you do all the work yourself, parts are expensive. If you don't have the skill or time, then be prepared to spend some money when repairs need to be made. I can fix minor things but I'm not a great mechanic so if its a major repair, I let an expert handle it. I understand that I'm going to get a big bill and I pay it without thinking about it. I'd prefer not to have to do that often but its part of owning offroad toys. Its been a long time since I've owned a new machine but I would follow the manufacturer's guideline for maintenance if it were under warranty to the letter. That way if something unexpected happens, I did everything I could to prevent it and they would honor the warranty.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

As stated before do follow the manufactures requirements to the letter. That said....there should be no issue doing the work yourself as long as you have the knowledge to do it. I have always did my own service on all my toys but do take pics and save all receipts!! Receipts are absolutely necessary if you have a warranty claim, and doing the work yourself is not an issue as long as it is done properly and not half-assed. In most states the law allows you to do maintenance work without voiding your warranty as long as it is done in a proper manor. I have a file in which all my paperwork is stored for each toy including all receipts, and I make notes if I call the dealer about what we discuss. When I take delivery of a new machine I take notes as to what I find when I get it home and go over it with a fine tooth comb!! Most of this will never be needed....but...if you do have a warranty claim all this is needed for your claim. Not only that but someday when you sell your machine it becomes a great selling point to have all your paperwork for its entire life to pass along.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

I hear you on that. First off, these things are not cheap. And can-ams are one of the most expensive ones out there. I have always been a Honda man, and a Yamaha owner. But the next ones will be can-am, and I am hoping they last me as long as the Honda and Yamaha have. I am just wanting more power to pull loads, and with age, I need the power steering the modern bikes have. My old Rubicon is a tank, keeps running forever, but in the end, because it is an older one that is always in 4x4 mode, steering that brute at slow speed is no fun anymore. Mrs DB could use EPS too. Although her Grizzly is pretty easy to steer in 2 wheel drive. And has IRS too. Which the Rubicon doesn't have. I really worry about the Can-am Differentials. The problems are REAL. but if I don't abuse it, they should last. (XMR's have stronger diffs). You can bet that mine will be dealer serviced.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I hear ya on the steering...sold my Kawi Praire 300 in order to get the new UTV. The Praire was full time 4x4 and easy to steer when I was younger....but now have arthritis in hands and shoulders and the steering was becoming work. Not only that but around the yard having to hook up a trailer was becoming a pain. The UTV is so much more handy, steering is much easier and it does not have power steering!. Even in 4x4 with diff lock steering is quite easy, I was very impressed with it. Praire was a great machine, never an issue in 16 years, but as I get older and into semi-retirement the UTV is going to be so much more versatile.

Quick Reply: Outlander L 500 Gear Oil Change