CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 Custom X Series 2 Dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No ride report I have to work this weekend. The install is very easy added two washers too stock mounting bolt and spacer tighten the two bolts and use the stock springs and it is on. Peter sends a very simple diagram but it is a very easy install. The hardest part is getting the springs on. The best way is to attach the springs to the Custom-X side and pull hard with vice-grips. It sounds great but the weird part is that off ideal it just does not get much louder. You twist the throttle open it sounds great but not louder weird but I like it. I will take some photos this weekend.

Old 05-11-2001, 03:05 PM
Range Rover

UPS screwed up on my Custom X shipment but Peter said last night they are supposed to deliver it Saturday AM. If it shows up I can get some pictures as well and maybe some riding time with the stock tires, won't make it to the sand this week, maybe next weekend. Still waiting for the K&N and DynoJet kit as well. 15 tooth SideWinder counter sprocket should show up mid next week.

Old 05-11-2001, 11:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I know what you mean about the springs... they are impossible! I did the same as you with the vice grips, I couldn't get enough pull on them any other way. (I took off my stock head pipe so that I could change the cooling fan - the first one died...) If that is the most difficult part of the install I'm going to be a very happy camper.

Old 05-13-2001, 03:39 AM
Trailblazer

Went for a ride with Peter Van Loenhout yesterday, The pipe Peter had on his DS was really for a Warrior (1 3/4" internals), but it really is much quieter than the series one on mine.

It was not just wet, it was coming down in buckets, (good Australian weather - fine one minute coming down in inches the next), so much so we ended up by going for a spin through a lovely mud-bowl, cause we could not have gotten any wetter or dirtier. Still it was an excellent ride, and the first time I have ever seen two DS's together other than at the dealer's (and they don't count). I will take my camera with me when we go out next weekend, and put some pics up on my website.

I only got my pipe about six or seven weeks ago, so I assumed that what I had was a series 2, until I spoke to Peter. Riding round my favourite spot (back of the Pines), going up hills and other trails, I actually had to look back to see Peter, I could not hear anything over mine, maybe the Concorde??

We swapped rides, and even with just the exhaust and no other mods at all, Peter's really hammered. Suffice to say I will be getting a new pipe from Peter in the next week or two. The other thing that was really noticable was how bad the stock bars compare with the Renthals on my DS, Peter will be picking up a set pretty soon after trying mine.

This was my first decent ride since getting the TM42 on, its runnning really rich at the moment, so I will drop one, maybe two jet sizes and try again. The low-end reponsiveness though, is absolutely awesome, I was doing a U'ey after a going over a tabletop, and did a lovely wheelie, quite unintentionally, and I guarantee that that would not have happened with the stock carb.

I also noticed a lot of wheelspin, the DS was just about going sideway through some whoops, I don't know if it was the extra low end torque, the wet conditions, or a combination of the two. Looks like more tuning and try again next weekend.

Peter will be emailing through the dyno chart for the series 2, and I will post that on my website once I get it from him. Once I get the series 2 I will post how I find it, with my series 1 as a comparator.

Old 05-13-2001, 11:05 AM
Range Rover

OzzyDS,

Look forward to seeing those pictures. Been to your website several times looking at the Custom X pipe.

Got my Series 2 yesterday afternoon....nice piece of work. Great sound, good fit, easy to install and no leaks. Just in the short ride I went on it was obvious the bottom end of much more responsive and I haven't installed the K&N or the DynoJet kit yet. The first trip to the sand will really give me the best comparison. The pipe is made from Pre Polished Stainless so any spot welds, bender clamp marks etc. are still visible on the finished piece. Where I work we polish stainless to mirror finishes so guess what's gonna happen to mine. It is an excellent piece and I am not complaining....just that I can make it look even better.

Old 05-13-2001, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

Got pic of my DS with the Custom-X series II. Now all I have to due is figure out how to get them on my web page.

Old 05-14-2001, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

Got my first web page to work almost but it has photo,s of the Custom-X- series II updated 5.20.01http://members.home.net/calds650/calds650.htm

Old 05-17-2001, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

How much did this kit run?

I've been waiting for something that is quiet, improves performance and looks good to boot. This looks like the one.

Thanks,
CRTLeech

Old 05-17-2001, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

$350.00 US when Peter sends you the receipt you are in for sticker shock mine said $700.00 AU That is Australian dollars. I had my stock header pipe ceramic coated for $80.00

Old 05-17-2001, 02:03 PM
Range Rover

I assume you are asking about the cost of the Custom X Series 2.....$350 US plus shipping.

Quick Reply: DS650 Custom X Series 2 Dyno results