CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Installing RW Clutch Springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2001, 06:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I orderd RW springs and will be here on friday. How hard is it to take apart the clutch on the DS? What all do i have to take off??

Old 05-16-2001, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

I'm going to do the same thing, so info is needed. But looking at the DS, the water pump housing will be removed. So that'll be atleast 2 gaskets. Anyone out their that has done this, it would be great info to share.

Old 05-17-2001, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

HALL650 I know someone thats looking for some tires to run on his DS on the drag strip, what size are those american racing slicks and where did you get them from? I'm about to do those springs my self, the shop manuel says drain the coolant and oil, remove clutch cable, the starter, the water pump cover and side cover. gaskets for the water pump cover, side cover, I'll probably replace the two pump shaft seals while I'm in there too. the book doesn't get too detailed but if you want I can probably scan it and email it to you if you want.

Old 05-17-2001, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

Hall650 - you must love living where you live! Right down the road from Haspin, that has to be great! I live about 1.5 hr away, nothing but corn fields here.

DSJockey - could I also get those pages from you. I'll owe you one for it. NewDSLover@yahoo.com
Thanks Man!

Old 05-17-2001, 03:54 PM
Range Rover

The size of the slicks are 18-10-10. I got 18's so I can start off in second gear and not bog down. If the dirt is right slicks are awsome!! I got them from a local Parts man. You might think its nice living close to haspin but it gets old real quick. anymore I just go there to race flat drags. I talk to the guy from RW and he said the best oil to use is redline, but it cost alot of $$$. I am taking the cluch apart tonight, I will tell you how it turns out.

Old 05-17-2001, 05:12 PM
Trailblazer

Well boys i just installed the springs myself,twice actually so i can def. help!!Getting the cover off is straightforward.Nothing difficult here.When pulling the cover off it wanted to hangup a bit near the gearshifter.Take a screwdriver and pry just a bit and it'll come right off.Started doesn't have to be removed but two of the bolts attach to the side cover so remove those two.No probs. putting in the springs.The problems started there.In the center of the cluth housing is a threaded stud on a bearing that is pressed into the clutch cover.This continued to bind up on the threaded shaft on the engine cover.Finally i gave it a little pop and cover went on.Bolted it all down and added fluids.Fired it up and my clutch was way off and strange noises coming from clutch area.Well i had to take it apart again.Took me 4 days to want to mess w/it again.Anyways the bearing mentioned earlier did in fact come out of it's seat when i popped it.No big deal take the clutch cover off and use a hammer to tap it back in.Went to put cover back on and had the same problem.This time i used the clutch on top of cover and i could feel the gear move but didn't seem to help.It finally popped on.I thought it maybe popped out that bearing again but it didn't.Well it's all to gether but i haven't rode it yet.The water pump is a rubber seal so it doesn't have to be replaced.I did have alot of dirt packed up in the water pump housing.

Old 05-17-2001, 11:33 PM
Range Rover

Well i am woundering now if i should have my local atv performmace shop do it??
Is there anyone else who has done this and has had this much truble??
Thanks

Old 05-17-2001, 11:34 PM
Range Rover

Well i am woundering now if i should have my local atv performmace shop do it??
Is there anyone else who has done this and has had this much truble??
Thanks