CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2001, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I finally broke somthing on the DS. The right front shock piston is bent pretty bad. I was hitting this large dune at knolls in UT in 5 gear, 3/4 throttle and flying about 50 ft down and 20 ft high. It was quite the rush. But the shock didn't fair so well. I am looking for any on that might have the stock shocks off the DS and would be willing to sell them to me, either one of them or maybe both. I haven't priced new yet but I will call today. Lastly what is there for aftermarket I know of TCP and Works but they are pretty high priced for my taste. Any help would be a great.

Old 05-29-2001, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absolutely love my Works Steelers $335/pair.
I like them even better with my stock springs combined with one of the works springs to even up the package. I had the Arvin RydeFX shocks and hated them. With the springs off you can feel the enormous rebound dampening of these RydeFX shocks, totally inappropriate. Too much rebound dampening doesn't let the shock recover from multiple hits, putting the shock into higher spring rates and a bumpy, jarring ride. Using springs from both shocks was like having extra parts, I could dial in just what I wanted. Plus the works shocks have a gas charge, the Arvins do not. If you want my Arvins, which I do not reccommend, as they really suck, I will sell them.
But do yourself a favor, talk to Sandy at works, He'll set you up with great shocks for cheap. Or add piggybacks or rezzies for more bucks. I don't know if you can add rezzies or piggybacks later, but these things are pretty modular and it may be possible to upgrade later.
There have to be different shocks that came out on the DS depending on when. I noticed the latest shipment of DS-650's at the dealer has the same shocks I do, but they didn't feel that bad just bouncing them on the showroom floor. And the early guys have no complaints. I don't know why mine were so stiff, maybe they are defective or just a bad batch. But the works steelers are fantastic, smooth cushy, increased wheel travel, there's just no way to bottom them out despite the cushy ride. With the extra springs I can set this up for racing or pleasure, with a little practice you can change springs in about 10 minutes.