CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Went riding with Rubicons, Not again any time soon, Thank You very much.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2001, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We went on a ride with a couple from Oklahoma
(flat) on their new Rubicons. Our mutual friend rides his Foreman like a Banshee. My DS is really dialed in, and Skyler's Raptor is rockin' as well.
These Rubys only had 300 miles on them, and oh jeez did these guys ride slow. So we said no problem, we'll just wait for you at each intersection or fork in the trail. Well He was even slower than She. And then,,, you guessed it,
He loses control going about 40 on a straight stretch of well graded county road, rolls the Ruby 3 times, trashing it bad, and breaks his collarbone! No Helmets, riding over their heads, even at that speed. Riding beyond your ability with no helmet. I didn't see the wreck, but he obviously got squirrly and couldn't control the slide he put himself into. We had just met these folks, and were getting scowls for our fast riding style. Their way was obviously more politically correct and environmentally responsible, as was their trip to the emergency room.
My 12 year old on his Raptor, wearing full coverage helmet, pushing the limits of adhesion and the laws of physics on every turn is a much safer rider than these mature "grown-ups" riding without helmets and the neccessary experience to ride safely. Beginners beware. Beginners are so much more likely to have a serious accident.
As much as I like the ability of my Sportsman to go where no sport quad can go. It is boring compared to the adrenaline rush of the DS and Raptor. We'll never go back. And I don't think we'll be riding with neophyte utility types anymore either. They're too dangerous.

Old 05-20-2001, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

fourlix,

I know that it is none of my business and that you are probably a very responsible parent, but when I read about your 12 year old son out thrashing on a Raptor, it worries me. I'm not worried about the "ATV Community", but instead afraid that someday you are going to come on here and tell us that your some was seriously hurt.

Well, like I said, it's no business of mine and I'm sure you've tought him really well, but just beware that kids tend to forget when they are having too much fun.

Old 05-20-2001, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

And it Could happen. He rolled his Trail Boss off a 30 ft cliff, but jumped off before going over the edge himself, about a year and a half ago following our Foreman friend, too fast, at night, on an unfamiliar mountain road. Lessons learned. Fortunately he wasn't hurt or phased, and neither was the Trail Boss, which landed on its wheels, still running, with the lights on.
Accidents can and do happen. I ride with him
as much as I can, pointing out mistakes I see. He has a lot of miles for an almost 13 year old and is riding as well as anyone I know. He wants to be really good. I think the Raptor is a really nice quad for him, not the fire-breathing
monster that you would get the impression it is from ads and even this forum. This is his third quad, from the Trail Boss he went to a 425 EXP, which we hopped up with a H.O. cam and carb. Too heavy, not fast enough, he wanted a 125 dirtbike.
I thought, and still do, that he is better off on a good quad that he can grow into than a hot dirtbike that is just too big for him. He fits this Raptor so well. In contrast, I look completely ridiculous riding it. I am only 6 ft.
210 lbs. and the DS fits me much much better.
I appreciate your concern, I really do, and I do reinforce the issues of crashing and the big PAIN factor. Trips to the E.R. are no fun.
I really believe that the Raptor is a good handling machine, and that means more than anything, other than prudent riding. We are out there cooking it up, no doubt. And it could happen, if and when, I hope it all turns out as just another one of life's many experiences and not a tragedy.
Come go for a ride with us, then YOU tell him he's supposed to be on a Breeze instead of a Raptor.

Old 05-21-2001, 03:49 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I think with proper adult supervision the Raptor is no problem. It's not so much the quad as it is the rider anyhow. In racing I hear people say 20% quad and 80% rider. Well, if the rider is young and rides well and is properly supervised, he/she is less of a danger than some idiot 17 year old cooking around trails in 3rd gear on a CR250. I can't count the number of times I have seen older aged idiots hit or nearly hit people.

It sounds like fourlix has things under control and is very aware of the skills of his son. Our industry can't ask for anything more than involved smart parents. It's the ones who let kids run rampant and do whatever on whatever atv or dirt bike they can fire up that are our nightmare. Too bad there isn't an easy way to beat some sense into some of these other parents who don't do such a good job.

fourlix, have you ever thought of opening up a ATV Parenting school? You know, teach parents how to manage kids and ATVs? heheheh I guess the problem would be they all think that getting drunk and watching kids crash is a good thing.

Old 05-21-2001, 02:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

My rule of thumb when letting others ride my quad is: If you have a machine for me to ride, you can take a ride on mine, if not, keep walkin...

RoostKing...

Old 05-21-2001, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

Hey man,dont be talking bad about those Breezes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding..................

Old 05-22-2001, 12:40 AM
Pro Rider

Thank you for your understanding. He really does ride very well. And you have to remember, HE got ME into this sport. Though I raced and loved dirt bikes oh so many years ago, and gave up on hot cars due to insurance and tickets, I never thought I would find a sport so much like what I did so many years ago, that was so much more fun, less dangerous and quite frankly, easier. It's just a win-win situation as far as I'm concerned.
I sold my sailboat, sailing in the desert sucked anyway, (Elephant Butte Lake (reservoir).
Skiing seems like such a chore in comparison, as does whitewater rafting. All of which I have given a good college try. They all fall way short of four-wheelers in fun, thrills, ease, and accessibility.
My only regret in this whole thing is that my wife does not care for the sport. For her it is too loud, too dusty and too bumpy. Oh well, at least I'm home by dinner.

Old 05-29-2001, 06:03 PM
Pro Rider

BASH,HOW MUCH DO YOU LIKE THOSE ELKA`S

2000 DS
ALBA PIPE,SILENCER,JET
SUPERTRAPP SPARK ARRESTER
K&N FILTER,PREFILTER

Old 05-29-2001, 07:39 PM
Pro Rider

The one thing I have learned is to avoid lending your quad to anyone. I would have to say that 9 out of 10 people that have used my ATV's have been very irresponsible with my toys. There are exceptions though... It's just too risky with lawsuits and trying to get that person to pay for damages. But it's a risk one must take to have "riding buddies"!! LOL

As for the 12 year old riding a Raptor...I see no problem with that. "Dad knows best" The Raptor, as stated earlier in this post, is made out to sound like a killer-machine made of brute power and speed. It has great handling and the power is more than controllable in my opinion.

Accidents are part of the sport...the more adrenaline you want, the riskier things get!