CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

$500 worth of DS power?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2001, 01:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best way to get some more power out of my DS and only spend $500.
I used to own a 400 Scrambler with over 65 ***** and sold it to a friend. My old Scrambler walks right by my DS and it just kills me every time.
HELP, what can i do?
I was leary of a 4 stroke because of the high cost of upgrades, can I get another 10 horse for $500?

Old 07-01-2001, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

I think you can get close to that if your willing to do a little of the work yourself. Most of the power will be in the lower rev range but it is a significant improvement that you'll be pleased with.
There are 3 things you will need to replace
1. Stock Cdi -options are Team-pami or Woods, I went with the woods unit because TP was not available, TP is less $ if I'm not mistaken.

2. K&N filter that attaches directly to stock carb and a jet kit from
Dyno Jet.

3. When the DS first came out 18 mos ago, pipes were very hard to find, so I had a local muffler shop cut the very restrictive stock exhaust tips and wield up some 2 1/2" pipe to the tip. It has a bend in it similar to the bend of the stock tips but allows much more air to flow ( more air = more gas =more power). I then had a plating shop chrome the pipe, it looks very nice and made a huge difference in bottom end, mid and top are about the same as stock , just better throttle response all over ( total under $500.00). If your looking for 65hp from the DS you are going to be spending alot more than $500

Old 07-01-2001, 02:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was thinking a mufler, filter, and jet kit would be my best shot.
Is the stock rev limiter to restrictive for these mods?
This motor had been around for a while now, any easy mods to boost a horse or 2 other then this?
Don't get me wrong, I love the "Go on demand" power I now have and the suspension is way better, but that dam Scrambler is way faster on a straight run.
Untill I can pass him on the flat fire roads we run on in the UP Michigan it is just going to drive me nuts.
And the hell of it is Rick is talkin about going for the 75 horse kit from HPD,
Then I'll realy be screwed!
guess I'll just have to stay up later than him and bend the electrode on his spark plug.

Just kiddin Rick.

Old 07-01-2001, 02:32 AM
Pro Rider

with the additional hp that a pipe, filter and jetting will give you, you will be hitting the rev limiter even faster than before and to me that was very annoying, I like hill shooting and to do that you've got to really wind it up, if you ride hard pack trails more frequently, than a gearing change ( in place of the higher reving cdi)to give you more top end will probably suit you.
Unless you have experiance porting and polishing heads or want to drop in a higher comp piston there really arn't too many more external mods for easy HP. There are several aftermarket carb options to look at but you'll expect to pay $265 (lectron)-$470( new quick silver by Edlebrock)and any where in between for 42mm- 45mm flatsides from other suppliers
lectron info

Old 07-01-2001, 02:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have actualy tried porting the heads on a small block Chevy, but think I did more bad then goood. That is best left up to a Pro. (My drag times actualy went up)
I kind of already knew the answer to cheep power when I asked. I was Just hopin I was missin some easy power on this 4 stroke some where.
I'll just reach deep into my pocket so I can kick some POLARIS ***!
Lovin the Bomb!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-01-2001, 09:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the only thing in that price range is nitrous, banning nitro.

Old 07-01-2001, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Holy cow dude! Getting smoked by a polaris. I have heard it all now. I have never seen a polaris that was even remotely fast. I used to run circles around my cousin who had a scrambler, and i was riding a 400ex. He ended up buying a 400ex, after a few months. hehe. Polaris quads are good for yard work, and for women. Thats what my wife rides. Are you sure that you are using any gear past 3rd? man o man.

Old 07-02-2001, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

I had a slightly modded Scrambler.
A Polaris with a modded 400L motor goes like hell in a straight line.

Old 07-02-2001, 10:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

HPD and Hot Seat both make lots of power with Polaris 2-Stroke kits and there cheep. Stock Scrambler I was able to keep up with my friends 400ex, after I bought a $1400 65 horse kit, I made it look like a little girls training quad.
65 horse, 500 pounds, you do the math.
on rutted tight trails the suspension kind of sucked, but in the open flats, it could pass a 400EX so fast the Honda would get blown off the trail by the wake of sand and rock roosts.
Now when we ride the tin cup trails in Big Rappids, MI the DS can out run him once Im in front.
But up north in the UP we ride flat fast fire roads and he goes right around the DS.
But with just a little more go, and a little more gearing, i'll be able to hold my own up there too.
NEVER SELL A FAST TOY TO A FRIEND!!
COSTS TOO MUCH MONEY TO PASS HIM LATER!!!

Old 07-03-2001, 09:15 AM
Range Rover

Exhaust, filter, and jet kit make a world of difference. I also went up a tooth on the front which made a difference. My brother has a highly modded 400 sport, he is right with me until I'm in 4th gear. Straight line its fast, but everywhere else its a rough ride. Later

Quick Reply: $500 worth of DS power?