CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

May be interested in DS but want opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting a new quad and if I can't find a Zilla than I am thinking either a Raptor or DS. I just want to know if anyone has raced MX on thier DS. I don't understand why the Mags say it's too wide when every pro racer always makes the a-arms wider and axle wider also. How would it handle with someone around 180-200 pounds with stock shocks and how are they in the dunes

Old 07-10-2001, 02:49 AM
Pro Rider

You're right about the size, and the engine is truly a thing of beauty, with plenty more ponies available. There are definite pluses to the DS, and a few minuses. It needs tweaking, like almost every quad out there. Upper A-arms, TimmyBoys or StrongArms are a must, especially for dunes or any sand, stock geometry is deficient in caster. The front shocks suck, works steelers are a good deal for us recreational guys, but if you are serious about MX you should go with something with some sag control, and lower the whole rig, front and rear. But the real minus is the weight. At 460 lbs it is obese compared to the rest of the fleet. The DS is rock solid, except for the cooling fan that is, and endurance racing is a real strong point for it. AND it is BIG. At your size you can go either way, Raptors are great, and feel like featherweights compared to the DS, especially in the air. They also feel cheap and fragile compared to the DS, whose extra weight is expressed in strength and stability, Euro-style and sheer size. The DS is like a Ducati, everything else is, well,,, japanese.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-10-2001, 04:26 AM
Ash
Trailblazer

the ds is big heavy and not as quick as the rapter. but on the other side the rapter feels kinda small. If you want a good mx quad go with the rapter, it handles better and is easier to throw around on a mx track. If i were you id be looking for the 500 zilla though, the older 2-strokes are a lot funner and got more ***** thatn any of these new hightech high dollar 4 strokes

Old 07-10-2001, 10:01 AM
Pro Rider

New shocks will give you more performance than any other improvement. One mag took a stock 400ex and two pro rider to the MX track. They recorded the lap time with the stock shocks then they changed over to PEP ZPS. The lap time dropped by an average of 4 sec with the PEP shocks. The bare changes to the DS for MX racing are Nerf bars, Shocks, kill switch. If money is not a problem Pipe, Edelbrock QwikSilver carb, air box, a-arms, swing arm -1 inch, tires, carbon fiber wheels, cam, CDI box, HD valve springs, HD clutch springs. Get a new Sub frame when they are available; people are working on them.

Old 07-10-2001, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

I know that Ash. I'll only get a DS or Raptor if I can't find a nice Zilla or an R. Power and handling wise, how are they compared to a little Mojave 250. This was my last quad. Are they faster than a CR250? Also, I saw a DS on Ebay that had some Ron Woods kit with a piston that was .030's smaller than a Chevy 350 piston, anyone have any info on them

Old 07-10-2001, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

Itracerx Ron Woods has been working on the Rotax engine for many years and knows how to make power with it. On the handling both the DS650 and the Raptor will handle better than your Mojave and they will have way more power and better suspension. Both ATV's will need new shocks for racing. The Raptor will need wider A-arms and longer swing arm. The DS650 will need lighter a-arms and a 1-inch shorter swing arm. The TimmyBoy a-arms I put on my DS650 took seven pounds off the front. Hope this info helps just get the most for your money.
Itracerx $6500 for it is a good deal but look out. I would have some body who know engine work check it out. Make sure he has all paper work on it. The Ron Wood stage II kit does not make 100hp and nobody has won the Baja 400 because there is no Baja 400.

Old 07-10-2001, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info