CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 or Raptor660 that is the ?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I would like your opinion on what I should get (and only suggest one of the 2 quads) Now I do alot of trail rides, a little mud, some jumping, wheelies, and hill climbs!!!
The trails are not that narrow down here so I dont have to worry about size!!!
and my rides are about 100 miles and I dont want to have a sore A$$!!!
LOL

Old 08-03-2001, 06:54 AM
Pro Rider

Either one will work. It is a matter of how the quad fells to you. Set on them and see how it feels. If you can test rides on each one. Then go with the one that you are most conferrable on.

Old 08-03-2001, 08:22 AM
Pro Rider

I would think on a long ride a DS would be much more comfy.
I also like the fact the DS has a heavy nose for hillclimbs, but it is harder to wheelie. I was looking at Raptors too. But decided not only was the DS built way better, I'd rather ride than repair my quad.

Old 08-03-2001, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

I do not think the raptor is nearly as reliable or as well made as the
DS650.No -way a raptor soaks up the rough stuff like a DS,being wide & stable definitely has it ADVANTAGES.I think you should give alot thought to dependability&reliability factors.Several times seen a raptor being pulled back from a trail where it had mechanical problems.I have even seen the carbs pop-off before.The raptor has good power (when running good)But with that kind of power do you want to ride something that is"tippy"?Whoever said the DS is no good on trails is either semi-retarded or just don't know.With 11.5& 12 inches of travel& cushy seat you'll probably never get a sore arss.

Old 08-03-2001, 01:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dave is a my quad is better than your quad kind of guy. So take his posts with a grain of salt. I ride a Raptor, my brothers have a quadracer 500 (formerly mine) and a DS 650. We ride some tight trails some open trails we have a little track we ride on and an open pit area we ride in. Here is my order for the three in each area.

Tight trails:
Raptor
Quadracer 500
DS

Open Trails:
Quadracer 500
Raptor
DS

Track:
Quadracer 500
DS & Raptor Tie

Open Pits:
DS
Quadracer 500
Raptor

Drag Race:
Quadracer
DS & Raptor TIE

Comfort:
DS
Raptor
Quadracer 500

Easy to ride:
DS & Raptor tie
Quadracer 500

Sound
No competition Quadracer 500
It sounds awsome.

And as far as reliabilty my brother with the DS and I just got our quads. But we have a freind with a Raptor since April and he's had no problems except 1 self induced crash. My brother had his DS for 2 weeks and the fan went, dealer fixed..No big deal still was able to ride home just had to take a couple stops to make sure it stayed cool. I haven't had any problems but I just got mine. I think they are both great unlike SuperDave. If you are a real big guy 220 + you'd probably want the DS. My brother has ridden 2 up (I know your not supposed to) all day on the Ds and it pulls with 2 almost as good as with 1. Even with 2 people on it it barely taxes the suspension. That's about as honest an opinion I can give, take from it what you will. Mind you these are just my opinions. No my quad is better than your quad here!

Old 08-03-2001, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

OK,Nocando cannibal. You are entitled to your opinion...just like me.I just thought I would make you aware that I never once said "mine is better than yours"also MUDMUNSTER is asking about DS or raptor,not a suzuki????/?
If I wanted to say mine is better blah,blah..I would say.. my way modded TRX250R is the best....cause IT IS!......HANDS DOWN!...SUPERDAVE,HA HA lol.

Nocando...next time try to stick to subject(no suzuki) person asking question would probably appreciate more.If you read the question from Mudmunster he DID ask for opinions & thats what he got from me so take this with a LARGE grain OF SALT. lol Dave ...alias SuperDave

Old 08-03-2001, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

my 2 cent's ive owned a 500 and it was the worst quad ive ever owned ...frame was junk ,suspention was junk ,motor was tuff to start ,blew the head bolt's right off the motor,i never rode it were it didnt break..and of course with big dollar modds it would be a good quad with a week frame...I think both the raptor and the ds are far nicer quads ...the 500 when running was a faster machine..but in racing conditions a 500 is worthless ...so my opinion is ..

drag race
ds
raptor

trails
raptor
ds

track
raptor
ds

problems
ds ,fan, chain roller,seat pin's

raptor,framebending,tranny,water pump,axel,carb's poping off

these are the main problems ive seen ....the ds is much better built ,but the raptor is better suited for a track bike....(my opinion)if you want a new track quad ..buy a 400ex and mod it race spec's ....and yes ive tested all these quads,my ex is the best quad out of all my toy's ...20 races (apox) before the first failure..started smoking...changed piston and ring's and back flying!or maybe wait honda is testing there new quad ..in mn ....it is supos to be out in sept-oct somewere neer there ...ive seen it first hand ...thats all the info i can tell .....

Old 08-03-2001, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Off topic. I had the quadracer 500 6 years a 1989. 1 or 2 kicks to start everytime, No head gasket problems 3 pistons, 1 complete rebuild, no frame problems just sandblasted and powder coated not a strees crack to be found, 1 time in 6 years got stuck on the trail. Threw the chain and it jammed up front. My friend has a 86 250R great quad we ride together all the time 6 years 6 pistons 2 complete rebuilds. You never know what you'll get going by that you'd say the suz was more reliable than the 250r (I'm not saying that is the case), you just never know. Good maint can go a long way. Plus you also don't know who's been beating the **** outa the machines and not maintaining them then they complain when things die. 1 question Dave AKA SuperDave ( you liked that 1 I take it) have you at least ridden both...be honest. About the off Topic did my adding the Suzuki in change any of the opinions. I still gave all the info on the two in question and added my 2 cents. Much like Biggy prefers his 400 EX and he stated that also doesn't make it off topic. By the way never read about the frame bending on a Raptor( not saying it hasn't just never read it) but I have read about stress cracks. And you skipped the shock problems on the DS.

Good luck Mudmunster get what feels right for you and your riding area.

Nocando

Old 08-03-2001, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

Nocando Cannibal....Honestly I have ridden the raptor, a raptor owner & myself traded for about 1 hour or so after he said "I never saw a DS before ..would love to take it for a ride"So he rode my DS & I rode the raptor for the 1st& last time.When he got off he said"man I wish I would waited to find a DS,maybe I can find a dealer who trade me a DS for raptor".I did not like the raptor cause its too narrow(I'm used to wider machines like the DS or "+2 R)& tries to "bicycle" or go up on 2 wheels much to easy,most of all it reminds of a mini quad the way the handle bars ran into my leg when turning.The stock suspension definitely leaves alot to desired,does not even compare to the DS in the slightest.Every time I jumped it the suspension bottomed out.BTW I did not mention the shocks(don't think that is as big an issue as raptors clutch& trans problems) your right but I personally only heard about 2 occasions where there have been problems.
Almost forgot about 1 of the guys I ride with{ occasionally) has a raptor & he has widened it with axle spacers& an offset wheel....
?wonder why??...if it is so good in "stock" form.

Old 08-03-2001, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dave if you wanted to widen a raptor for out in the open areas riding you have that option. I ride mostly trails here in the northeast not a desert to be found so I choose not too. See the key word choose. Granted at a cost. How can you drop 75 pounds off the DS without removing the engine. Can you make the DS 4 inches thinner to ride through the tight trails and if it was 4 inches thinner you think the Raptor is tippy that would give a new meaning to tippy. I ride both the Raptor and the Bomber back to back and you go a little over the deep end on the suspension. I'd give the bomber the edge but not like your talking. And bottoming the suspension you tell me you jump on a friends bike and after a few minutes start jumping it enough to bottom out, and every jump you bottom it come on now. How much do you weigh. I'm 190 and it takes some height to bottom. If you tell me you weigh in at a svelt 275 I'll agree to everything you just said. If you read my post I never say it is so good in stock form. I unlike you can see it's faults as I see faults in the Bomber you are just blinded by love of your quad and that is cool, for you. I can appreciate all the quads and if you read all my posts never once said any one was better than the other .

Last post on this I'm glad you are happy with your choice as I am with mine.