CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

question about DS rev limiter???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 02:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys~

I am well past my 10 hour break in period and my DS is running real strong! I just have a question for you guys with more riding experience on the DS. Does your machine hit the rev limiter real easily in 5th gear? It seems to me that when I'm up to speed in 5th, I can't go much more than 3/4 throttle because it hits the limiter. Would the DS be able to pull 22 inch tires without any trouble, or would a sprocket change be necessary with the larger tires? Thanks for any replies and I now have no desire to ride another Polaris now that I have the DS650!

Old 08-29-2001, 04:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

As far as topping out in 5th gear, could it be that your bike is jetted to lean on top? You may want to check to see if that is the case, I'm pretty sure I can do more than 3/4 throttle easy. 22" tires are no trouble what so ever with a 100% stock DS650. I suggest getting re-enforcing rings added to your rims or buy new rims with rings installed to keep your rims from getting damaged. From what I hear, the 22" tires will be a 10% change in gearing (up) and if you go down 1 tooth on the front sprocket that is a 7% gearing change (down.) This would put you at 3% taller gearing that stock, which would feel exactly the same as reported by another forum user with this setup. I think it depends a lot on your riding locations and style, because I really haven't noticed a need to change gearing. I'm sure once I install my new White Brothers E-Series pipe anything lost on the bottom due to the taller tires will be made up for by the increase in HP on the bottom end.

As far as riding Polaris' I've never rode one, but I can say I'm not too interested in going back to a 250cc 2-stroke racer anytime soon - this ATV is just WAY too much fun! Riding this ATV brings me back to all of the reasons I enjoy this sport as a whole.

Old 09-01-2001, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

Hi WiScrambler, welcome aboard, you're going to like it over here a lot. Good bunch of guys over here in Bomb land. I put 22" XCT's and went down 2 teeth on my countershaft sprocket. This is rough country and I DO hit the rev limiter with ease in any gear, but I need that low first to get me through some rocky sections without bouncing out of the saddle. It's all a trade off, but opening up the end-cap or getting a better pipe gives you more low end so you can thump through the rough stuff,,,but I still need the lower gear.
A new CDI with a higher rev limiter or none at all is at the top of my wish list...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-01-2001, 12:08 PM
Range Rover

If you ride in the sand much, I am talking Dunes not much flat riding, and go to larger tires plan to change your gearing, at least that was the case with where I ride in the sand. Sand really sucks the power from quads. I had the stock size tires, 20x11x9 (which are actually closer to 19" if you measure them)in 12 paddle Haulers, stock gearing was pretty good. I also agree with Fourlix though, if you need to do some slow moving stock gearing is too high even in first gear and the stock tire size. I have since went to the ITP Sand tire kit with 23" tires, again actually about and inch shorter than that, changed the front sprocket from 16 to 15 and was still geared way too high. I could barely get out of 1st gear in the sand and couldn't get up enough speed for momentum to shift up, it would bog down in 2nd gear. Lots of other things also play into the equation, suspension setting, weight of rider etc...

Now just a word of warning, don't do like I did and change too many things at one time and then go riding, it is really difficult to determine what changes effected what. I changed exhaust system, air filter, jetting, tires and sprocket all at once...not good.

I have since got a 14 tooth front and 41 tooth rear sprocket but haven't installed them or been back to the sand yet.

To answer your question about larger tires, it will depend on your riding style and the type of terrain. Myself, I am not interested in going 75 MPH on the type of terrain these quads were designed for, that's just me though. There are lots of DS's out there with 22" tires and stock gearing, some are even going to smaller rear sprockets for more speed. This Rotax motor has such a wide power band and lots of torque that it is pretty forgiving when it comes to shifting.

Old 09-03-2001, 09:03 PM
Range Rover

Who makes one with a rev limiter?

Old 09-04-2001, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

There are there are four out there the stock unit from the BMW F650, Ron Wood Racing, Team Pami, and Graydon Proline.