CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

To Much Paddle????

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No four stroke should run a 10 paddle tire unless it has big $$$$$ into it. I can't believe people even think about a 10 paddle on a DS or Raptor. I rode a DS w/ a 10 paddle and when you let off the gas it feels like there is an anchor dragging in the sand. You may think your going faster, but start going up a hill w/ a guy w/ 8 paddles and watch your quad load up as he motors away. It's your money though.

Old 11-13-2001, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

Sandgod...The reason i feel for such a big 10 paddle is that the ds weighs more than other sport quads.22-11-10-10 paddle work the best to get the quad up and going.the ds has enough torque to spin a ten paddle.I have raced planty of other ds that were running smaller paddle tire and beat them just becuse i hook up so well but i also gear my ds accordenly!!!! I never feel like i have a anchor on when i slow down but i dont slow down much any way!!(LOL)

Old 11-13-2001, 10:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I run 22x11x10 10-paddle taller haulers for straight line drags - no complaints here, best decision I ever made.

Old 11-13-2001, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

ScoobyDFW you fall into the $$$$$ category so your an exception. I for one think paddles are a waste and ride the huge bowls here in Utah. I don't hillshoot and you will only get me from a dead start. I will catch you slowly and if there are turns I will catch you even quicker and you struggle to turn. I know that it seems wrong that a non paddled quad can do that, but it's true. Been doing it for a year now on the Raptor. The one exception is if your riding is sand like at Pink Coral or Saint Anthonys. That is some soft soft sand that must have paddles. Each his own though. LOL!

Old 11-13-2001, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

I have 18 paddles stagger cut and I have no problems.

Old 11-13-2001, 11:10 PM
Range Rover

I guess I'll add my .02 here. I am running Kenda DuneRunners in the 22x10x10 size with 8 (straight) paddles. These tires have the paddles molded in instead of glued on. I recently went to Glamis and ran these tires with a 15 tooth front sprocket. My DS was 100% stock at the time, and I felt these paddles did very well. I never got stuck, and had plenty of traction. These tires seem to be of good construction, and do not seem likely to tear. Currently I have no plans to beef up the motor any further than my pipe, unifilter, and rejetted carb. I believe these paddles will suit my needs quite well. Alot of people have experienced excellent results with "Hauler" type tires, but I have witnessed many "flats" due to the thin carcass tearing, and paddles seperating from the rest of the tire on high horsepower bikes.....but these were just My observations....no flames intended. I hope this post was of some assistance. Good luck.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2001, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

Anyone tried the 22" comp-cut Desert Mini Trak's on a DS?
They take a 10 pound tire and cut off 2 ply's, brings it down to 5 pounds.
Here's a before and after PICTURE.
The tire is still very strong and hook up great in a straight line as well as turn easy. Can get that from Joe at Fullerton Sand Tire.

Old 11-14-2001, 07:37 AM
Pro Rider

I have been thinking about it maybe after Thanksgiven.

Old 11-14-2001, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

<< Anyone tried the 22&quot; comp-cut Desert Mini Trak's on a DS?
The tire is still very strong and hook up great in a straight line as well as turn easy. Can get that from Joe at Fullerton Sand Tire.
>>

Mike,I need to get sand tires for my new BajaDS,but those tires do look a little ugly......Probably work great though

Old 11-14-2001, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

<< Anyone tried the 22&quot; comp-cut Desert Mini Trak's on a DS?
>>

Mike I due not think they take off any of the ply's just the outer rubber down too the cords.

Quick Reply: To Much Paddle????