CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Modified End Cap,,,Date with a Dyno,,Need a Stocker for comparison..

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2001, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a date with a Dynamometer in Phoenix Dec 14. I will have two modified end caps with two extra baffles for 8 possible combinations, but no stock end cap to compare power and NOISE levels.
I am not going to have a slip-on to compare, but they are SO much louder and more expensive it really doesn't matter. But it would be nice to have one on hand, so if anyone is in Phoenix with a DS-650 slip-on that weekend.....
...... But I am much more concerned with comparing the stock end cap to my modified ones for both power and noise. My seat of my pants has been telling me this end cap is as good as the HMF and FMF slip-ons that I have already tried but sent back because my ears told me they were TOO LOUD. It's the Low end power that comes alive once the way too small and restrictive end cap tailpipes are relieved by the free-er flowing modified end cap, and the noisy slip-ons too for that matter.
...... I have also been working on my bits and procedures for modifying these end-caps without wrecking the chrome on the end cap or the delicate spark arrestor screen, which I for one like having as I ride in the National Forest.
...... And I need that stock restrictive end cap for Dyno and Decibel meter comparison. This place tests ATV's regularly and charges $100/hour. I have to make the best possible use of my Dyno time.
...... So if you have a hot pipe already and that stock DS exhaust is lying around the garage, please consider selling me the endcap for $25 or lending it to me and I will return it modified for free, (please, first five only, as long as I get it by Dec 10 th.)
........I expect to have one removable component as part of the baffles for two levels of power/noise. I am testing two different types. I call them the "burrito" and the "end cone".
........ If I am totally wrong about my modifications and the dyno tells me to go back to the drawing board I will return your end cap unscathed. I will let you know the results of the tests and let you decide. If the tests are positive I am going to make 4 or 5 freebies to see how people like them.
......... Please Send your end cap along with a note saying whether you want a check for $25 ASAP or wish to be contacted after testing
to have it modified and returned for free or simply returned with a thanks. Alex Ocheltree
433 Hwy 211/P.O.Box 202
Gila, New Mexico, 88038
(505)535-2825
Please e-mail me at AlexRobin@starband.net if you are interested. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-22-2001, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

Cool. Thanks guys, that's 5 end caps I've got to work with so far now. That should be plenty for this phase. I'll let you know how the Dyno tests work out.
......This adventure is going to cost me more than a slip-on, (which I've already tried twice and returned because they were too loud) probably more than a full exhaust, but I really want to know the real numbers when it comes to this end-cap thing. If I can make a few of these to pay for the time and trouble, that's pretty cool.
If the dyno tests come up flat, oh well, that's show biz.
...... I'm sure Knutz will come up with a quality product, that's a lot easier to market, and he'll probably sell a hundred of his to one of mine. But I will be doing all the work myself, and I might be able to make enough to buy,,,well,,,,,how about a new full exhaust system!!??
Hah! just kidding...Happy Thanksgiving.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 11-22-2001, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

Just a bit of friendly advice Fourlix, the stock end cap is actually stainless steel[not chrome]. If you use stainless on the outside for your modification, you can polish it very easilly and it looks like chrome. That's how I do the ones that I'm currently modifying, it looks great! Happy Thanksgiving.

[Notice marky, competators can actually work together.] I hold nothing against Fourlix, despite the fact that he is building a product similar to what I'm going to produce. I wish you the best of luck Alex, I hope it makes huge power.]

Old 11-23-2001, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks Don, and I too feel that there is room for cooperation.
..... My poor end cap has been torched, cut, welded, retorched, rewelded etc, I painted it black 'cause it was so ugly. I thought it was the chrome I had trashed! Stainless is much easier to deal with than having something chromed. I have been working out a way to use hole saws to remove the stock twin pipes without trashing the end cap with an Oxy-acetylene cutting torch. (Which works great as long as cosmetics aren't a concern).
.......I think this industry better get together and start developing more exhaust combinations that create power and tractability without excessive noise. The future of OHV's is at stake.
.......We have a unique situation with the DS in that the stock exhaust actually has a lot of potential. I think I've got a pretty good design, but it's all just BS till I get it on the Dyno. If it doesn't perform I'll send back the end caps people are sending me, with an apology, and buy one from Knutz!
........If I succeed, it may lead to developing a quiet core slip on for the Raptor, which is desperately needed, at least by us, as the only quiet pipe for it is the full Q fmf exhaust which is an arm and a leg.
.........Who knows what cards fate will deal us? This could be fun. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]