CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 will be in the shop for a checkup

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2000, 10:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My DS650 might be running hot. Not sure if fan is coming on. I've heard that people have had problems with the radiator. I noticed the pipes near the exhaust manifold had a faint white glow when I was out riding at night. Also, the pipes are turning bluish near the exhaust manifold. I haven't seen the temp light come on though.

Also, the rear axle lock came loose on me!

ScoobyDFW
'00 Dune Sport DS650

Old 02-03-2000, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

JUST IN CASE YOUR SHOP HASN'T SEEN IT YET. THERE HAS BEEN A UPDATE TO ALL DEALERS TO CHECK THE PINCH BOLT ON THE AXLE. I HAVE HAD IT HAPPEN TO ONE AT OUR SHOP. ALSO MAKE SURE THAT THE TECHNICIANS AT YOUR DEALER CHECK AND SEE IF THE RADIATOR IS FLOWING PROPERLY. THE ONLY WAY I KNOW TO CHECK IT IS WITH AN INFARED TEMP PROBE. WE HAD A BIKE THAT WAS OVERHEATING AND COULDN'T FIND THE PROBLEM. THE WATER PUMP WAS FINE, THE ELECTRIC FAN WAS COMING ON, NO LEAKS, AND THE ENGINE WOULD NEVER COOL DOWN. IT WOULD KEEP HEATING UP. THE RADIATOR HAD A BLOCKAGE. IF YOU READ THE TEMP OF THE SURFACE OF THE RADIATOR IT WAS CONSISTANT EXCEPT FOR ABOUT 1/3 OF IT. LIKE I SAID I DON'T KNOW HOW TO CHECK IT WITHOUT ONE OF THOSE TEMP PROBES. I WAS IMPRESSED ENOUGH THAT I BOUGHT ONE FOR MYSELF!!!

Old 02-05-2000, 05:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

There was an earlier post concerning the lock nut for the rear axle(posted by alock if I remember correctly) .Like the former post stated, it should be covered under warranty... This is great that the owners of the DS-650 are so honest in their impressions. I guess that the great performance that the DS offers offsets any "year-one" problems, minor as they may be( except overheating of course!) I just hope I can get myself on one of these awesome machines by Memorial Day.

RoostKing

Old 02-05-2000, 11:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The DS may not be running hot afterall. I think that the fan will kick in during hotter weather, not 55-65 degrees out. One other thing I did notice today was that the shifting can be picky at times. It may be that the DS sat for 2 weeks and wasn't ridden at all. Maybe it still needs to be broken in. Or my new motorcross boots could be contibuting. I've noticed that the manual choke NEEDS to be used EVERYTIME you start the DS after it cools. It would be nice to have an automatic choke. I replaced my hacked up grip with a SeaDoo grip. It turns out that there are no adjustments on the front brakes. One side seems to grab a little before the other side. Maybe it will get better after it is used more.

ScoobyDFW
'00 Dune Sport DS650

Old 02-06-2000, 10:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

UPDATE: Well it turns out that my original suspicion was correct. My DS650 is running hot. The temp light came on today in 60-65 degree weather during some hard riding. The fan didn't come on at all. Back to the dealer it goes again. Also, something definitely isn't right with the front brakes. After riding and getting dust on the bike, the left front brake seems to grab before the right front. Also, the left front brake makes a metal-on-metal type sound during part of the revolution when the brake isn't applied.

ScoobyDFW
'00 Dune Sport DS650

Old 02-09-2000, 08:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

RESOLUTION: I brought the DS to another dealer. They found a pinched wire on the temp sensor for the fan, so that's why the fan never came on. They had to bleed the brakes too. Hopefully no more problems. One annoying issue is that they had to change the oil without an oil filter because Bombardier hasn't shipped the service packs yet. Actually, when I picked up the DS, the filters had just arrived. I plan to order the Ron Wood Stage One DS650 Kit this month - pipe, carb, filter, rev limiter, etc. From what I can see, he is way ahead of the game than any of the others!

ScoobyDFW
'00 Dune Sport DS650

Old 02-10-2000, 02:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

What's the cost of the Ron Woods Stage one kit? What performance increases does it promise? I am kinda wondering what kinda of carb the kit is going to come with, is it bigger, or how is it different? I've never heard of needing to buy a whole new carb unless you're going really hot on the engine with mods. (I've heard you can bore the carb out etc before needing a new one.) Although this is a brand new model, and Ron Woods does appear to know a thing or two about this engine, so it's probably a good idea. (He DEFINATLY knows more than I do.) I'm also curious to know if RWR offers a fuel injection kit for the DS650 or BMW F650 yet? I hear fuel injection is going to be stock on the F650's soon, and I think that would be really trick to have a fuel injection system instead of a carb. The three main benefits I can think of are: no need to re-jet, more power and number one is more fuel-efficient.

Old 02-12-2000, 12:27 AM
Trailblazer

As far as I can remember the RWR Stage 1 kit is around $1450. The carb is a 45mm TM. I would rather have a regular slide type carb than a CV type carb which is factory on the DS. I plan to order a Stage 1 kit in the very near future so I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Old 02-12-2000, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer

As far as I can remember the RWR Stage 1 kit is around $1450. The carb is a 45mm TM. I would rather have a regular slide type carb than a CV type carb which is factory on the DS. I plan to order a Stage 1 kit in the very near future so I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Old 02-15-2000, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

i read somewhere that the engine used in the DS650 took very well to mods in whatever it was in before they stuffed it in a quad.....so couldnt yall have a big selection already of pipes etc.....

Quick Reply: DS650 will be in the shop for a checkup