CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ATV Action Disgusted with DS50 & DS90

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 11:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ATV Action said some nasty things about the DS50 and DS90 and about Bombardier in the latest issue.

Old 01-05-2002, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

I was going to buy a DS50 until I found out they don't even make them, so I got a LEM Cayman instead.

Old 01-05-2002, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

ATV Action whines and moans about everything that isn't a Raptor.

Old 01-05-2002, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Well, The same people that make Bombardier's ATV's make Arctic Cat's and Polaris's mini's and they also REALLY went hard on the them too.

I have personally riden them and can share in there disapointment. They are rather pathetic in stock form. But I did get a chance to ride an AC 90 with just the carb rev-limiter removed (there is also a tranny limiter) and was amazed at the difference. It went from not being able to climb a hill with a full speed running start to being able to climb the same hill from a dead stop. In fact, it actually wheelied in the middle of that same hill (about 30 degrees mind you) untill I leaned farther forward. It even climbed a about a 45 degree hill/ditch with about 3ft of running room. Mind you that all 185 lbs of me was on this little 90 when it did that. So, I was really impressed. I even rode it around on 2 wheels (side) for a good while.

Even with these mods, they are not up to the Caymen standards. They have virtually no suspension and turn wider than a TBX 500.

Old 01-06-2002, 01:43 AM
Pro Rider

I do remember reading that is was a Taiwanese piece o crap. It's a real shame that Bomb would do that. I guess I take back my original comment about ATV Action, for now any way![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2002, 03:44 AM
Pro Rider

Kasea is the best looking and best performing youth atv on the market. Currently 50 and 90cc atv’s s are marketed by Suzuki, Eton, Polairs, Aeon (Alpha Sports), Sundiro, T-Rex, Jehm, Kasea, Bombardier, Husky, Extreme Machine, Artic Cat, Yerf Dog, Manco, Dinli Helix (has an untested reverse feature), LEM and other manufacturers. Of the many atv manufacturers, Kasea offers features that go beyond the “other guys.” Virtually all of the youth atv’s are equipped with fully automatic CVT transmissions and a 2 stroke oil injected engine, the features that make Kasea superior to other youth atv’s begin here:

Front suspension
The Kasea front suspension is much stronger than that Eton, Polairs, Aeon (Alpha Sports), Sundiro, T-Rex, Jehm, Bombardier, Husky, Blazer, Extreme Machine, Artic Cat, Yerf Dog, Manco, Dinli Helix, LEM and some other manufacturers. The Kasea uses a double clevis style knuckle holder rather than the more common single holder. We believe that only Suzuki uses the same strong design as Kasea on the front suspension a-arms.

Rear suspension
The Kasea has the strongest youth atv rear swing arm and axle design on the market. It is a copy of the trusted design used by Yamaha on their performance atv’s since the early 1980’s. No other youth atv has this strong of a rear suspension – it is simply the best. Many of the other youth atv’s don’t even offer a true sport atv style rear axle. We have found most youth atv’s have a rear axle that is a thin metal shaft covered with tubing. Not only is the tube covered design weaker, it allows water to easily enter the carrier bearing area. Other youth atv’s such as the Suzuki LT-80 and an Eton atv model do not even use a traditional rear swing arm. They elected to make the engine and transmission serve as the rear swing arm. The Suzuki and Eton design causes handling problems and is very difficult to modify for increased performance. On the Polaris and a few other models, the rear swing arm, although slightly longer, is too weak to be considered adequate.

Shock absorbers
Kasea built their atv’s with true rebound dampening Showa shocks that also feature compression preload spring adjusters. The only other youth atv that we have found that has a similar rear shock is Bombardier. Not even Suzuki has a good rear shock. This is a very important safety feature that is often overlooked. When the Kasea is ridden over a large sudden bump, the rebound dampening helps prevent the atv from “bucking” forward as the shock returns to its normal height.

Braking system
Kasea offers a traditional rear foot brake in addition to the front hand brake. This will allow your young rider to learn the proper use of hand and foot controls so he/she will be ready to advance to a full size atv with a manual clutch without relearning their riding technique. Some models such as the Blazer and Bombardier use full size levers that are hard for little hands to properly grip. We will point out that the T-Rex, Manco, Sundiro and Yerf Dog have a rear disc brake but we feel that the drum brake in the youth market is sufficient for even racing needs.

Optional lighting
We believe that only the Kasea is equipped with a 80+ watt lighting coil and is pre-wired for lighting from the factory. All you need to do is purchase the Kasea lighting set that is found as standard equipment on the Kasea 150 atv or simply mount your own lights to the existing wiring. The key switch uses a third position to turn on the lights. Kasea even pre wired for a rear safety light and lighting for your whip antenna. No other youth atv on the market has this much lighting capability. If you want to add lighting to the Suzuki LT80, you will need a special electrical stator and wiring at a substantial cost. LT80 lighting kits that run off the battery only will result in a dead battery and a long walk home.

Starting
Kasea, like most other youth atv’s, offers electric starting with a manual back up kick starter and a fully automatic choke. Kasea studied the other atv’s and took the ease of starting one step further. They added an automatic fuel valve. When the engine starts, the fuel is automatically turned on. When the engine stops, the fuel is automatically shut off. In comparison, the Suzuki and LEM have manual chokes and all other youth atv’s have manual fuel valves. We also note that if you want to add a manual back up starter to the Suzuki, it is a pull rope recoil starter that will cost an additional $80. In the unlikely event that you ever need a replacement electric starter for the Kasea, it will cost about $50 and can be installed in 5 minutes. The Suzuki starter costs about $250 and will require hours of labor to complete the installation.

Rim sizes
Here, you can easily install replacement rims of your choice! The front hubs use the common 4/110 bolt pattern (Honda) and the rear uses the common 4/100 bolt pattern (Blaster).

General Parts
Since most of the youth atv engines are similar, finding parts is usually not a problem. If you need gaskets, air filters, batteries, spark plugs, chain, tires or some basic engine components, Eton, Polairs, Aeon (Alpha Sports), Sundiro, T-Rex, Jehm, Kasea, Bombardier, Husky, Blazer, Extreme Machine, Artic Cat, Yerf Dog, Manco, Dinli Helix, will interchange. The Blazer, T-Rex, Bombardier, Yerf Dog, Manico and Polaris have a longer drive belt and side case cover though.

General Notes
The Kasea is one of the few youth atv’s that does not provide a full floor board for the youth rider’s feet. We have studied this issue and believe that the floorboard design may not be as good as claimed. In the event that the rider’s foot gets wet or the board gets wet or covered with debris, it becomes a slippery dangerous platform. Kasea uses foot pegs just like a traditional atv. To improve any youth atv, we suggest that a good nerf bar with foot pegs and narrow spaced nets be added.

Speed
Kasea voluntarily follows the maximum speed limit recommendations of the Consumer Products Safety Commission. You may find other brands of youth atv’s offered for sale that are “faster” than the Kasea; however, those atv’s most likely do not comply with the CPSC regulations. For a new rider, there is no need for the extra speed.

Performance
From an aftermarket standpoint, there are many performance modifications for your youth atv. As your child grows, so will his/her ability to control more power. Instead of placing your child on a larger atv that can be dangerous for a younger rider to properly control, modifying a youth atv will provide the challenge that your child desires. I have replacement large bore cylinders, ported cylinders, custom billet aluminum cylinder heads, special over range transmissions, custom exhaust systems, performance carburetors, performance reeds, lighting kits, ignition systems, extended swing arms, wider a-arms, shock absorber kits and various tire and rim options. A special 4130 alloy frame is also in the works!

Old 01-06-2002, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

The Kasea Skyhawk copied the Blaster front double A-arms. So did I when I rebuilt a brand new Raptor 80 the way it should have come from the factory, with 6" travel suspension, 42" wheelbase, and 42" wide. Seat height is an inch lower, at 26". Adding Works shocks and Douglas wheels ran the price up, but put it over the top.Raptorette 80
.......The driveshaft, swingarm and axle are plenty beefy, but I had to redrill the hubs to accomodate the larger bolt pattern of the three lug durablue wheel spacers and wider Douglas Wheels.Construction Pics
.......My son Ian will be 5 in April, that's his 13 year old big brother test riding it. The rear suspension bottoms out when I sit on it, which is just right for him. His 90 lb big bro bottoms it out coming off of jumps. Nice thing about Works shocks is that I will put a stronger spring on, in about two years when he needs it.
.......I really like the Yamaha 4-stroke, and the three speed transmission with auto clutch is the best setup for controlling the speed of a young rider. The Honda also has an auto clutch set up with a 4-speed, but kick start, and crappy suspension like the rest. We had a Polaris Scrambler 90 and it was impossible to keep the speed down, as the throttle limiter would not keep the auto tranny from upshifting and just plain going too fast.
.......The Kasea Skyhawk has the right idea with the Blaster front end, but the manual clutch 5-speed is not going to work with a very young rider. All the other minis use single A-arms and are too narrow and, face it, just plain stupid/dangerous. The stock Raptor 80 front suspension has to be the worst of all. It was easy to scrap, it may end up being a trailer.
.......Our lessons are proceeding well. Staying on the trail, controlling speed and throttle, and BRAKES!! are what we are working on.
I can limit speed to 7 mph, but have since turned the throttle up to about 10 mph so he can learn about throttle control. We started with the shift lever completely off, the Raptorette will electric start in any gear. So far no biffs, but he has ridden through a lot of weeds and bushes.
......I am choosing riding areas very carefully, with nothing to run off of and little or nothing to run into.
......Why Bombardier and all these other companies are dumping these POS taiwanese quads on our kids just plain sucks. If more people can see the kind of kid's quad that I and others have built maybe we can get the manufacturers to wake up and make something good for a real change.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-06-2002, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

Fourlix really did a great job making a POS into a nice ride. As for the other minis, the Skyhawk 50 and 90 are automatics not 5 speeds. What people don't realize is that even the much loved LT80 is not made by Suzuki.

If you have the time and money to convert the Raptor 80 into a "Fourlix special," it makes a nice trail bike. If you want to have something that is better than the other stuff out there, consider the Kasea. We have nearly two years of hard racing on the Kasea frame and engine. To date, we are very happy with the results. I think the biggest problem was the lack of performance parts to make the youth atv move. My goal was to put together the high perf parts so that 60 pound kids would not be forced to ride Blasters or Banshees.

Old 01-06-2002, 01:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

WELL NOW GUYS NOT TRY TO START ANY THING OR OFFEND ANY ONE BUT 2500.00 WHAT DO YOU WANT.these bike are built cheap because we dont want to spend 7500.00 on a bike that our kids can only ride for two season.and the kasea is a nice machine.but so is the ds 90 but not in comparesion to our rides. and you,ve got to know the ford ranger and chevy s10 are not built by either co. and for ford big boys[which i own one]can you say habla espanole.but at least there assembled in tenn.but if you want you can do what i did when my daughter started ridig i did not like seeing her bounce around like a tennis ball on her honda 70 so i had full front and rear suspension added very pricey but efective it was bored to a 90 and lasted two season and she out grew it.i had 4700.00 in it and it sold for 1000.00 sucks dont it.any ways like i said there entry level and the key word is entry.later by the way thats [hencho en mexico]

Old 01-06-2002, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

You guys should see the Kasea that Raptor720's son rides. It's faster than some adult quads!

Quick Reply: ATV Action Disgusted with DS50 & DS90