CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Lectron vs Edelbrock

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 03:23 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I know there have been individual threads on each of these carbs, and each carb seems to provide a decent boost in horsepower, but has anyone directly compared the two head to head? I guess I would be interested in comparisons on ease of jetting? Will either work with the stock thumb throttle/cable? Are they direct "bolt-ons"(meaning do they fit the stock carb boot/work with the stock airbox/do you need to run a direct mount air filter)? Are there any issues with the carbs fitting in the framework of the bike? How about cost (I understand the Lectron is pretty reasonable @ $265)? And most importantly, what about customer support? If no one has really tried to directly compare these, I would be happy to try and get as much info as I can from both companies, and post the info.

Old 01-29-2002, 03:39 PM
Trailblazer

I am putting a lectron on this week. I have been told that it is almost to easy to install. It fits directly in the stock carb area. I am mounting the filter directly off the carb in some fashion but won't know for a day or so. I felt I had to try it simply because of the cost (265.00).

I had a conference call with Kevin at Fast by Gast and someone that had installed 2 of these of DS. One had major engine mods and needed some adjusting and the other was pretty much stock but he said both were easy. All he did on the non-stock bike was move the carb back a little with a custom made boot of some sort. Both of his customers are happy eith their choices.

I had to order a new thumb throttle and cable kit. Kevin told me that was a must to make it work. Jetting is some simple adjustments from what I have been told. Supposed to be very easy for the non-mechanical type, like myself, to adjust.

Hope this helps, I will have more in a day or so. I am installing mine tomorrow. If anyone else has info glad to listen and learn.

Old 01-29-2002, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

Gmann,
In addition to gottahavaraptors questions,let us know what it takes to install and (if possable) if the original filter tube can be used. If you don't have the original tube just measure the carb flange where the tube connects to see if its the same size as the stock one. I would like to get the Lectron but I need to keep the tube for those deep water xings.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Are you going to use the stock intake manifold? If so, won't it restrict the air of a 44mm carb to the 42mm? I Never looked that closly at the stock intake to see it is actually 42mm or larger. Maybe somebody else here knows the answer to this....anybody?

Old 01-29-2002, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer

JSsDS,

According to Kevin at Fast by Gast that is the carb size he recommended for my mods to date. I have to take his word on this until I actually get my hands on the carb. Supposed to be delivered later today.

They say it will actually work with the stock box although you may have to customize your tubing slightly. I'll be sure to update as I go.

Old 01-29-2002, 06:29 PM
Range Rover

<< JSsDS,

According to Kevin at Fast by Gast that is the carb size he recommended for my mods to date. I have to take his word on this until I actually get my hands on the carb. Supposed to be delivered later today.

They say it will actually work with the stock box although you may have to customize your tubing slightly. I'll be sure to update as I go.
>>

Thanks Gmann, please keep us updated.

Old 01-29-2002, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

I also talked to Kevin today, I'm thinking about ordering this carb but instead of the 44mm, what about the 48mm or 50mm? Stock is 42mm, Team Pami is 45mm. Would the 48mm be to much? I would hate to order the 44mm just to find out that the 48mm out preforms it. Any thoughts from the big guns out there?

Old 01-29-2002, 08:06 PM
Trailblazer

Great question...I would like to know the answer to that one myself.

NewDSLover, how did you think Kevin will be to work with? I thought he seemed very knowledgable and offered plenty of info.

Old 01-29-2002, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

Gmann due ride at Glamis? If you due when will be your nest trip. I can bring the Edelbrock QwikSilver so we can compaire.

Old 01-30-2002, 01:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

hey guys calds has the edlebrock i rode it it was a monster it pulled extra hard at bottom end and nice and strong at the top but definetly good hole power.caution dont use a thumb throttle my god
i was useing my feet to push that thing[just kidding ]but it was tough you definitley want a twist with this carb.my hats off to calds and i would not thumb wrestle him.i was leaving trenchs up the hill.but realy it has like a choppy feeling but smooth acceleration and quick response[kind of harley response]thats the best i can explain it and i don't know about the lectron but i have the makuni 45 and is much better felling as far as smooth but im not to sure it actualy pulls any better than the 44mm edel. but my self i would be careful about any carb that says it's only 38mm but breaths like a 44.thats why we port our intakes so were not wasting a 45mm carb on a 40mm hole.yes jsds 40mm was what mine was. correct me if im wrong but.but this is what someone was saying about this carb and in that case i would go to the 48 or 50.
well good luck any ways just rambling

Old 01-30-2002, 12:39 PM
Trailblazer

BillDS650,
Headed to Glamis for Presidents day weekend. I think that I will be there Friday the 15th of Feb until Sometime on Sunday the 17th. I think there are a number of guys planning on that weekend. Anyone who's up for it let's hookup. I will have all the kinks worked out by then and we should get a good feel for the Lectron and whether it does what Kevin says it does (Fast by Gast).

Quick Reply: Lectron vs Edelbrock