CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

fmf slip on or hmf slip on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 07:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering the differance between the fmf anf hmf slip ons. Whats the diff. in power, noise, and fit n' finish. any info would be great. thanx

Old 01-30-2002, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

I've had the FMF slip-on, modified end cap, HMF slip-on and HMF quiet core slip-on with spark arrestor, which I then modified. That's all on my 2001 DS. The Fit and finish of all of the above were excellent. (Except for my Butt ugly modified end cap that is.)
...... Max power is probably the HMF slip-on. The FMF was good too.
The FMF was not as loud as the HMF, but close. They were both pretty loud, too loud for me to keep.
.......The HMF Quiet core needed help. It did not breathe enough and was too restricted, yet with an acceptable noise level. It gave a stock like power curve, peaky, like a two stroke, no low end and little mid range, then bam it hits. All the slip-ons give increased low end and mid range, and smooth out the powerband. Opening up the quiet core HMF does the same thing.
...... I think all are very good quality products, but they both need to work on their "quiet cores". Mine is better.
.......I am very pleased with my HMF Modified Quiet Core with spark arrestor. It is louder than stock but as powerful as the FMF but only as loud as the HMF Quiet Core.
.......With a 175 mainjet, stock airbox with K&N, and a Pami CDI this pipe gives a very broad smooth powerband that lets me chug through the rough stuff, blast down the trails and banzai up or down the sandwashes.
..... I believe strongly that recreational riders need to Not **** people off by being too loud, period. I don't know about you but I have been thrown out of enough places, thank you.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-30-2002, 03:42 AM
Pro Rider

Thats true

Old 01-30-2002, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

I have the HMF on my DS. I like it. But it is kinda loud, sounds good though. I can't say I've seen the FMf on a DS yet, but my friend has a FMF on his 400EX. It's louder than my HMF & it sounds edgy. On top of that my girls stock (at the time) 400EX was faster.
Besides FMF had an ad that claimed 10 more HP for a 400L. After a guy from the forum asked about the dyno sheet they said it was measured at like 8,000 rpm! 8,000 rpm on a 400L , yeah right. After that I'm skeptical about any FMF claims. HMF told me a 2 hp increase at most, but more low-end. They didn't disappoint. My DS yanks the front wheels alot easier now.