CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

can i lower the hight of a ds650 of no or little costs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 05:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm thinken of getting a ds650, and wanted to know if i would be able to lower the center of gravity at all? Is it good in the woods?
thanx

Old 02-03-2002, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

I've been looking into a lowering kit but so far I've been unable to find one. Durablue says they MAY make one in the future but theres not enough interest yet. I have posted in here about a lowering kit but like Durablue there seems to be no interest. Heres thier number if you want to tell them your interested in a lowering kit. (949) 770-5533

Also, I love my DS but its hard to find aftermarket parts for it at reasonable prices. Durablue makes a lowering kit for the rapter and should cure the "tippy" feeling it has. HINT HINT

Old 02-04-2002, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

ok this is the ticket for lowering the rear of the ds ......take the top spring off the shock !!! it works great exsept for the biggest of jumps ....the only thing is you need to discharge and recharge your shock unless you cut it off

Old 02-04-2002, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

Biggy,

I hate to tell you this, but you don't have to discharge and re-charge the shock. The shock comes off the other way. Turn the adjuster all the way loose and slide the springs up. Then simply remove the lower spring mount[it's slotted, so slide it up and to the side] and remove the spring from the bottom.

I had to remove my springs to have them powder coated.

Old 02-04-2002, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, so now we have a cheap and easy way to lower the rear 2 inches. How about the front? Also with the rear lowered does the chain now run on the chain roller all the time?

Old 02-04-2002, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

You should consider new front shocks anyway, the stock front shocks are horrible. You can order shocks from Works anyway you want, including a shorter Over All Length. Shorter OAL shocks is something Raptor guys are doing. Zero Preload , which means, with the shocks off the quad, the springs just barely hold the retainers on, will give you lots of sag, which again will lower your DS. Works also has a number of different end pieces that can change the OAL of your Works shocks. The DS has about the longest front shocks, with a very long end piece. A shorter end piece, like from a Raptor front shock, would shorten the OAL by about an inch, I think.
......Now it ain't gonna be for free, but a pair of Works steelers for the DS costs about $369. And you can upgrade with rezzies later. Call them up and see what they'll do for you.
.....Trail riding is rougher than MX, which requires hard springs for big landings and hard cornering on a relatively smooth, large feature track.
Out on the trail you need a suspension that will soak up the little hits, yet still let you land a big jump or take a hard unexpected hit.
.....I am liking 210# mainsprings with long 2.8" 240# helper with 2.3" 500# helper. This set-up is very smooth and predictable with enough mainspring to handle big jumps and hits, lots of sag and a smooth ride, very little lift in a hard corner, stock DS OAL. This is the sixth spring set-up I have had on my Works Shocks on my DS and it is the best.
Don't just lower your suspension, FIX IT! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-04-2002, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

As a Firefighter-Paramedic I do not make enough money to "fix" my shocks. Theres a baby on the way to add, so I'll be lucky if I can even keep my DS. So with that said anyone have any ideas on a cheap and simple way to lower a DS?

Old 02-04-2002, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

Remove the small rear spring[watch for clearance issues with the chain roller] to get the back end down.

Find a set of used, stock Raptor front shocks. Talk to a local quad shop and see if they can put you in touch with someone that replaced there front shocks. They should be willing to let go of there stock shocks for a song. This will lower the quad, but I can't say it will make it handle the rough stuff very well. A customer used 400EX shocks to drop the front and said it worked ok, but might be a little too low. He uses the bike stricktly for flat track racing though.

Old 02-04-2002, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

knutz

my mistake I must have been thinking of a differant shock ...your...... right thou thanx for the breifing ...lol

Old 02-04-2002, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

p.s I have a set of 2002 raptor shocks for sale (les then 15 hours use) e-mail me if interested bmcdirect@aol.com

Quick Reply: can i lower the hight of a ds650 of no or little costs?