CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ALBA rev limiter

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 08:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody have experience with these? They claim the rev limiter is at 9200rpm and it's about $100 more than the RWR and Pami units, but wouldn't need the tach. Anybody seeing close to 9200rpm with the RWR or Pami and if so any problems? Where does power start to taper off? ALBA support claims the DS can handle those revs without any problems. Plan on purchasing one of the three in the next week and could use advice...

Old 02-27-2002, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

I was told Albas CDI is a stock BMW f650 CDI.(no timing advance?)
I have tached mine to 10k but I also have HD valve springs.
Depending on the mods your power will drop off at different levels
Jeff

Old 02-27-2002, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

Mine pulls nice up to about 8500 rpm if I am jetted right.

I plan on some mods and when that is done, then I will probably be pulling a little higher in the rpm's.

I have the rwr cdi.

Bat

Old 02-27-2002, 10:26 PM
Range Rover

jeffinrivercity- ALBA told me to expect more torque and more throttle response, that seems to be what I've read in the past threads about the RWR. Like everyone else that has posted about the CDI, I am nervous about getting rid of the limiter all together, just paranoia I think. I think I had read a while back that Knutz used to have one with a higher limit but discontinued it due to availability problems...could the ALBA unit be the same one?

Old 02-27-2002, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

I have the graydon-proline it rev's up to 9300 rpms.Ive never had any problems with mine and i rev mine up all the time!

Old 02-28-2002, 10:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I need to know what these CDI boxes do - I mean besides extend the rev limit.
Somebody mentioned throttle response - do these rev boxes actually change the ignition timing, advance at higher rpm's or something? If so, how about some specs...details...
I want a new ignition box, and plan to get one, but if one offers more peformance over another because of the above, then that's the one I want. I always thought they were just stock boxes modified for a higher rev limit, but perhaps not.

Old 02-28-2002, 12:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I just got off the phone with RWR - their CDI does advance ignition timing, differently throughout the entire rev range, for more power at every rpm.
It has no limiter at all, making my tach and kill switch that much more worth-while.
I haven't gotten a hold of anybody else yet (Alba, Pami, Graydon).

The dude also said the different ignition timing allows for peek HP to be maintained all the way to 8000rpm, while the stock HP starts dropping at 6500. I've seen stock dyno charts, so I know that stock HP drops at 6500, but I'm having trouble believing a rev box can increase peek HP rpm to 8000 without getting into valve spring replacement too....
...has anybody seen a dyno chart of a bike with rev box and no internal motor work?

Old 02-28-2002, 12:54 PM
Range Rover

I heard from somewhere. That after getting a pipe, jetting, and air box mods that a rev box with the timing advance is worth about 5-6hp.And that on a completly stock Ds the rev box doesnt make much of a differemnce. Dont know if thier is any truth to that. I also dont know if that power is gained because of the higher operating rpm or the ignition advance or the combination of the two. But 6 hp sounds real nice to me.

Old 02-28-2002, 01:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'll be getting one. Leaning on RWR for now, but what I find out about the others my change my mind. RWR is $298, Alba is $395 - easy choice there - but I wanna hear about the Pami...

Old 02-28-2002, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, I have. I've tested both the Team Pami and the RWR ignition box on the same bike on the same dyno within 15 minutes of eachother. This was done on a bike with nothing but a pipe[Big Gun] and several different air filter configurations. Niether one held peak power untill 8000 RPM. I will say that after the HP peaks at about 6800 RPM, it drops off more slowly than it climbed. That means that the ability to spin it past the stock rev limiter will keep you in a stronger part of the power band when you shift. Results compairing the two were within 1HP of eachother thoughout the power band, and way to close to claim any difference.

Anyone claiming that the ignition box was worth 6 peak HP[or even a 6HP average gain] on a mild motor, has an active imagination.

A pipe, air filter mounted on the carb, and the ignition box were worth 7.5-8 RWHP. The box's were worth almost nothing by themselves, untill you got to were the rev limiter would kick in on the stock box. From that point on, the aftermarket box is well worth it.

Quick Reply: ALBA rev limiter