CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Cannondale smokes DS ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 12:56 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard from a few customers that they got "smoked" by a Cannodale 440. Is this true? Anyone here have a first hand experience.

Old 02-28-2002, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

In october we were up at sand mountain. Some guy from reno had a cannondale there. We raced up sand mountain on both the ds and raptor and i beat him both times, he got the holeshot in the whoops but going up the upper steeper stuff where the HP counts both the ds and raptor would pull away from him, also i was about 25-35lbs heavier than him so that was actually a disadvantage for me. I was not impressed with it. I think he had an aftermarket pipe on it too, it was called something similar to fmf, like pmf or hmf, and it was damn loud since the exhaust goes straight out the back, doesnt have the turn in it. Also the cannondale is sooo ugly, it looks like a frog. haha. Sean

Old 02-28-2002, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider

I have raced a few cannondales.I raced one cannibal here at the oregon dunes beat him by 4 quad.I raced 3 at dumont one speed beat him 6 times and he cameback and beat me same number of times.Then i raced 2 cannibal at dumont same weekend and they both beat me by 4 quad lengths.Im 260# and the rest of the people on these machines where 160 on average. The 2 cannibal at dumont where the fastes even seen! even if i was the same weight i still dont think i could have beat them!

Old 02-28-2002, 11:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dirtwheels bragged the Canondale is top speed over the DS and Raptor by 2mph. With minor changes like tires and gearing the DS and Raptor can do well over this because of their HP.
In a 100yrd drag, all stock machines, the win will go to the best tire though, even though the DS has most HP.
I watched a stock DS repeatedly pound a Canondale at Silver Hills, MI one day - he was wearing 22" 10 paddle Taller Haulers, the 'dale was wearing 8 paddle Haulers.
My mildly modified machine was wearing 8 paddle v's and I couldn't take the 'dale. I weigh 240, so I put my 185lbs. buddy on my bike and he beat the 'dale!

Old 02-28-2002, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

well one of my buddy,s has a cannondale hes got one of the fx,s 400 .. the bike is an animal its pulls off the line harder then any bike ive seen ..even harder then shee,s .. but doesn,t really have the tope end ..

me and my buddy have race hundreds of times and i win MOST of the time .. but when i do beat him its not by much the most iv ever had him buy was 2 bikes .. thats nothing .. but he always gets me off the line buy 2-3 bikes but once i hit 3rd n 4th im moving by him ... even if we switch quads .. my bikes wins most of the races . .. im 200 and hes 160 ..

just my .02

Old 02-28-2002, 01:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Bomb, I agree!! those things really get the holeshot. At LS I'm two bike lengths down right off the bat, Then after I hit third, the DS is pulling hard on the Dale', by the time I go thru fourth I usaully win by a quad length. But I give it up to the Dale's they are IMPRESSIVE.
But DAMN that engine noise makes me want to CRINGE. I guess you get used to it after awhile.

Biggerisbetter.

Old 02-28-2002, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

biggerisbetter .. same here down by 2 lenths .but onces the old trust ds hits 3rd your right back in too it.. yea when the can is running it sounds like its going to fall apart ... we bust my buddys ***** all the time about that ..

im not sure but are the newer cannondales faster then the fx,s ????
i know the change the fuel injection mapping on the new ones ... does that make a big diffrents ???

Old 02-28-2002, 03:07 PM
Range Rover

HighTower,

Shouldn't the Baja have the same top speed if not a little faster than the Cannidale? The baja has 200 more rpm. And the ohtsu tires even though they say 20 in are still physically a little taller than the Dominators found on the regualar DS. Plus some guy said that his completely stock DS with just 22 in tires ran like 82.3 mph.

Also in a drag race how would a stock Raptor do against a stock Cannidale. Cause Raptors come off the line pretty quick also. And Raptors don't quite have the pull in the higher gears as a DS.

Old 02-28-2002, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

well bad bomb .

i ride with my ds, 2 shee,s a moded raptor ,a 400ex and the cannondale .. we line them up all the time .. the moded raptor does really good . its the same as the ds the cannondale eats us all of the line .. but the rapoter doesn,t really have the upper pull like the ds .. so its hard for him to get out in front but he does do it some times .. we race in thick sand .. so it all comes down to who is getting the best traction ..

BUT ON THE STREET I RULE THEM ALL .. THE RAPTOR AND THE CANNONDALE JUST WHEELIE TOO MUCH ON THE STREET AND BUY THE TIME THEY BRING THE FRONTS DOWN ......IM GOOOONEEEEEEEE

Old 02-28-2002, 03:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Bad - maybe so...
Stock speeds of all these machines are so close that even rider weight can make the difference.
If all four bikes - DS, Baja, Raptor, 'Dale - wore the same tires, and all four riders were the same weight and had the same rider skill (because skill is a major factor for 100yrd drags) then its hard telling what the outcome of a drag would be, but I don't think the DS would be first. Top speeds on down for top end would probably be pretty close too, but I don't think the DS would be last.
What makes the DS and Raptor so cool in my mind, is the potential for fun seeking out more power to tap in to. The 'dale is 440cc - it comes pretty much race tuned. The DS and Raptor come toned down, with much potential over stock set-up - there is no replacement for displacement.

Quick Reply: Cannondale smokes DS ??