CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

What next??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I hate to say it but mine rubs. I just make sure the K&N is well oiled. I dont really worry about it to much. The holes are small and the filter is capable so I will replace the pre filter when the holes make me uncomfortable. The way I look at is if I have to get a new pre-filter every year at a whoping $14.00 then I will. just my .02 but the carb mount filter is the only way to go as long as you stay mainly dry.

Demon

P.S. I have yet to find even the smallest particle of sand in the filter so thats why I dont worry.

Old 03-11-2002, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

Mine is the same way. I am looking into getting a twin air filter because the foam is softer and will give. Also their filter is a little smaller and will cost less that a new K@N.

Old 03-11-2002, 12:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks guys.
So just let me confirm one more thing before I buy one - is the filter itself getting any damage?

Old 03-11-2002, 01:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

hey hightower i have a new k&n layying around i bought it and decided i did not like the hitting. and we ran it on a dyno and there is no difference in hp on my bike between a box with no lid and direct mount and 1 hp not worth it to me i have way to much money in my engine to risk it.

ps: just my opion it dosen't realy matter in the real world.

Old 03-11-2002, 01:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Roger that AZ - if that's all the difference is then I better stick to my airbox too.

Old 03-11-2002, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

I have never put mine on a dyno but to feel the difference it was huge. maybe it was just me but I know it made a big difference on mine.

Old 03-11-2002, 02:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Hey demon the thing to rember here is my engine is stretched quite a ways.maybe i can't get any more with simple air filter tricks.

Old 03-11-2002, 03:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well at this point I'm pretty indecisive. I first put on my RWR pipe and K&N, jetted accordingly, and had a huge increase in low end power and torque, of course. Then I went with the Dynojet needle and had a major improvement in throttle response. Last, I went with the lid off and jetted accordingly which didn't really make me feel any power increase down low, but I was able to pull a higher rpm at the top of fifth gear.
I can see the carb mount filter making a major difference from stock, but at the point I am at now I'm not sure how much more I can get by just elliminating a foot of ductwork between the box and carb. Considering the wear on the outerwear from the frame and seat, and the fact that I do sometimes hit some shallow creek crossings in the woods once in a while, I'm leaning towards just sticking with the air box - I ride sand only half the time.

Old 03-11-2002, 03:42 AM
Pro Rider

I still say go for it. I have hit water and road when it was raining and everything. RWR will recommend the filter if the riding siuation is right. It is pretty protected up under there so thats why I think I dont worry about it. I would say that the gain I got was about equal to puttin on the CDI as far as difference. I know my bro wasnt happy after I did because that is when I started whippen up on his Raptor.

Old 03-11-2002, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Hurycne
Do you have a part # for the direct mount twin air filter?
Bearman