CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

More questions........

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I have just about made up my mind. I talked to knutz this morning and he answered most all of my questions.

It takes about 2 months to get the 703 done, so because my riding season is just starting I don't really want to do that at the moment.

What I am thinking is this, I will do the piston, cams, valve springs, and carb now and then in November or Decemeber, I will send knutz my engine and either get a 703 or maybe finances will be better and I can go for the 760.

In the mean time I was wondering what kind of compression ratio you would go with. Knutz says most go with the 11.2:1 piston and are happy. I see from an email that they also have a 12.5:1 piston. Which would you do and why? Is there a large power gain going to the 12.5:1 piston, or not really noticable?

Next, what carb. 45mm or 42mm. Knutz recommends the 42mm. He says it will have nice power all the way up. He says the 45 will have a slight power advantage up top, but will suffer in the low rpm. What do you guys think? I know that ron wood sells the 45 in his stage 1, but is it really too much and does the low end really suffer that much, or is it not really noticable?

Thanks guys for the info.

Bat

Old 03-04-2002, 08:30 PM
Range Rover

My friend has a woods stage one kit on his 650. I rode that thing and the low end is awsome!!!!!!!!! If the 45 carb does have less low end, th pipe is realllllllllly good!! He can ride wheelies fo miles!!! his bike is a torque beast!!!

Old 03-04-2002, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

2 mos. . . . ouch!

Bat: Man, I know I am about two trips to Sand Mt. behind you. (Meaning, I will go there a couple times then I will NEED more power[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] )

I don't know if I can be without my quad for two mos. My downtime is July/Aug (too hot!)

HMMMMMM

What did Knutz say about the fuel type to use?

Any problem with running the quad slower (woods) with the 703?

Old 03-04-2002, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

faster, the fuel type will depend on the compression ratio. Knutz said they can do the 703 with either 11.2 or 12.5 comp ratio. With the 11.2 pump gas can be used, with the other I am not sure what he said to use. I am guessing 100 octane or maybe a mix.

As for woods riding, Knutz said that the 703 would work fine, but did not recommend the extras like lightening the crank. He said that with these, the bike would tend to stall easier.

Around here my downtime is December and January, not too good to ride without a lot of travel. I am hoping that I could do the 760 this next winter while the snow flies.

Bat

Old 03-04-2002, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

Batoutahell I have 11.2:1 pistion I went with it cause I can run super unleaded with it with the 12.5:1 you will need to run race gas.

Old 03-04-2002, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

Bill, thanks for the info, I assumed that I would have to run the race gas for the higher comp. But I wondered if the power increase over the 11.2:1 was worth it or not. Thanks
Bat

Old 03-05-2002, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

I have the RWR stage 1 with the 45mm carb. There is NO low end loss. I can ride a wheelie 1-4th whith no problem. The bike "screams" out of the hole now.

Old 03-05-2002, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Isnt the stock carb 42mm? When you say 42mm you mean the flatside right?

Old 03-05-2002, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

Hurycne, Yeah I am talking flat slide.

I fully plan on getting either the 703 or 760, I am just going to do it when the weather sucks around here and I cant ride anyway. That is going to be about the end of november and then I can get it back hopefully sometime in January or early feb and get it dialed in just right by the time it warms up around here.

I want to avoid buying too many parts, but I also want the best in the mean time. So, if the 42 flat slide is better for just a cam and pistons, then I will most likely do that, but if the 45 works good too, then I will want that to avoid having to buy a different carb when I do the 760 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] .

I am still unsure what to do. But I know that I cannot be without my bike at this time of year. It is just getting decent and I have a lot of plans for trips over the next few months.

Bat

Old 03-05-2002, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 42 would be a little better on the low end the 45 on the high end, it's up to you where you want the performance gains. The 45 would be best if you plan on going to 760, that will hold you over until you get duel carbs or when Don gets his new set up dialed in[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: More questions........