CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

what to buy at end of summer

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2001 raptor now i have a 2002 banshee and i want to go back to the four strokes and i dont know if i should buy a 2003 400EX, Raptor, or DS650. can you guys help me out.

Old 03-05-2002, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

If you had a Raptor, why in the world would you want to step down to a 400EX?

Old 03-05-2002, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

my raptor had a couple of thinks that i didnt like and they were when shuting it off it would make a banging noise in the engine. on hot days when choke was not needed you had to give it gas to get it started on first try and if it didnt start it made the banging noise. and i got in and accident with it when a little kid on a fourwheeler pulled out in front of me and i when end over end and i still had a broken leg and couldnt walk yet so that made it even worse.

Old 03-05-2002, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

The DS650....cuz it da best

I know...its what the yammi forum said about the raptor.....go figure

Old 03-05-2002, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

The DS is a great ride, with one of the best motors out there. But if I was about to buy a new quad I'd want to have a look at the new Suzuki for sure, and maybe there are some other hot new quads about to come out too, like maybe a new 450EX or 650EX? Polaris is supposed to have their new Sport quad out soon too.
.... I'd want to at least have a look.
.... Meanwhile the Baja is a DS with most of the bugs worked out, it still needs front shocks, and a 2002 Raptor is a nice ride too, with no bumps or tranny worries,,, we hope. It still needs a wider rear axle, front shocks and maybe A-arms too.
..... Still, a 370lb Suzuki is prettty tempting, and those Cannondales are great,,, IF you can stand being with the ugliest girl at the dance, that is.
.....New quads can be exciting, the Suzuki is the only one for sure that will be out, I hear next month. I bet the magazines have already ridden it by now. Everything else is a definite maybe.....
....If you are a big guy you will love the DS. It is a bit heavy, but it is beefy, big and strong. It makes a better desert sled than a MXer, I love it on these western trails, mountain mining roads, desert sandwashes.
...There is nothing like it.
...Everything else is puny.
,..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 03-05-2002, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

Boy sounds like you have hard time making up your mind.

The raptor, ds and new zuki are really your only choices. I would not even think about a 400, unless the power of the raptor and banshee that you have already had was just too much for you. That is the only reason to step down to a 400.

I love the DS, but like all other quads built there are compromises that need to be addressed. I am a power hungry fool and that is where my heart lies. I love that rotax engine and am going to be doing some ugrading to get a little more power out of it.

I think the biggest choice is your type of riding. I love the dunes and desert riding and these wide open spaces the ds can fly and it soaks up the bumps like nothing else. But if you ride tighter trails or mx then I would look at the others. Fourlix gave you good points to think about also.

Bat