CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Why lose the heelguards?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 06:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All race quads you see never have heelguards, what's up with that? be it motocross, desert racing, or crosscountry, most riders take them off.
I like the look of no heelguards, there's not as much wind resistance without them, and there's less mud clinging and adding weight through the course of the ride. I know that soemtimes, at the end of a rainy day ride, there has to be at least ten pounds of mud on the two of them.
How does everybody feel about that, is the chance of your foot going down behind the peg really that great? Should I lose them or keep them...give me your thoughts.

Old 03-20-2002, 08:29 AM
Range Rover

you coudn't be more correct, bailey already has made some fender supports for his DS, as soon as we get the design right we'll make me a set. i think timmyboy sells supports, but why buy something you can make. he's already made pegs and nerfs for his also.

Old 03-20-2002, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

LOL! yellow bird wings!

Old 03-20-2002, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

I have the TBD supports. I hated the looks of the heel gaurds![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2002, 08:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, supports are definitely needed. Timmy Boy sells them, and I think you can probably get them from Alba too, because the pictures of their red desert racer on their website show a different stile than the Timmy Boys. Raptors are the same way, bird wings in the wind...

I'll probably make some with the material that supports the stock heel guards.

Diamond G heelguards seem nice, although a little plain looking, but sound strong and functional. Unfortunately they won't work with my Roll Design pegs.

I'm goona lose the guards soon, unless some people have horror stories of mangled leg bones....but personally I don't really see it happening. The only direction my foot has ever slipped, on any bike, even my ATC's, riding or jumping, is off the side. Never forward or backward. My Roll Design pegs and nerfs make that impossible now, so I think I'm cool.

Old 03-20-2002, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Hightower, I saw Greg Rows quad at the Vegas to Reno tech inspection. His fender supports are made out of the factory supports that connect to the heelgaurds. He bent and cut them so they would be where he needed them.

Boy I've been drooling over those Roll pegs since they came out!

Old 03-21-2002, 06:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Vegas650 -
the Roll Design pegs are worth every penny spent. Cast stainless steel, fully heat treated, polished, three rungs of teeth, kick-up. If you get them, Rocky Mt. ATV has the best price - $209 with kick-up. I payed $229 from Moto-Joe and then later found this out. If you do get them and wanna keep the stock heelguards, you'll have to make a bracket to retro-fit where the guard support screws to the bottom of the stock peg. I cut up the stock pegs and used their material for this.

That heelguard support material is strong man, I bent one a while back and had to completely remove it and put it in a vise to straighten. It'll make good support material.

Old 03-21-2002, 03:19 PM
Trailblazer

I took my heelguards off for a while because I hated the way they looked. My fenders sagged so much that they rubbed the rear tires and noticeably ground down on the edges. That same trip, I went off a drop off a little sideways and both my feet slipped off the pegs and the beast drug me under the wheels and pulled me for 20 feet or so. That hurt real bad, but luckily nothing broke. My left ankle still hurts from that, and that happened back in august.

Old 03-21-2002, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

Mintychip, that is one of the things that I'm afraid of. You could loose a leg like that, your lucky you didn't. I have been debating on whether or not to do away with the heal guards also.

Old 03-21-2002, 08:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am sitting here in a cast. Broke my ankle two weeks ago from sliding off the left peg after landing a jump. With heel gaurds but no nerfs.

Quick Reply: Why lose the heelguards?