CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Raptor Envy, cheap performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 10:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BiggerISbetter- I will let you find out first hand how the TRINITY 686 runs when we sneak into OK on April 13th. The guys on here might give you a hard time for riding a raptor though. I need to double check that i paid all tickets i got in OK a few years back............

Fourlix- I would be a litte surprised, with out boring to get 60 plus hp. Up my upgrades on the 686 i was told 63 to 68 hp. I am looking to make a dyno run, as soon as i can find one around here. I can tell you it is well worth the money that i spent. I have hit the rev limiter a few times, something that never happened when it was just piped and jetted. Power from top to bottom. Smooth rideable power, no peaks and valleys. Appears to run on super unleaded to boot. I believe that as it sits now it is making 60hp min. Would like dyno report for my own satifaction.

Old 03-20-2002, 11:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

HEY GUY'S
PISTON
CARB
VALVES
FILTER
PIPE
CDI
CAM'S
PAMI SPRINGS
A LITTLE BIT OF MAGIC HEAD AND INTAKE WORK

60 HP NO PROBLEM!! ACTUALY 58-60 DEPENDS ON FUEL

PS:CALDS AKA BILLDS650'S BIKE IS FAST IF HE'D BUY NEW PADDLES IT WOULD BE SCAREY FAST!!!

PS:IM NOT A SPEC QUOTER IF YOU WANT SPECS TALK TO MY MECH.GARY CLUFF AT COUSTOM ATV MESA ARIZ.

Old 03-21-2002, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

AZSAND just put the new padles on they are the same ones Mike330R has. It sure does S#$k about the QwikSilver. It did only make 2 more HP overstock but the power was still going up when it hit the revlimter. They have not tested it since I have added new cams, HD valve springs and CDI.

Old 03-21-2002, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Bill, hope you"ll let us know what you think about those paddles [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-21-2002, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

I to hate the fact that you can pump up a Raptor, 400ex, etc for a 4th the price as we can. And what really kills me is that you can do the same thing to a LT250R or Zilla for about $300. I know it's a 2stroke and my 4 banger engine will last longer, etc. But I'm not going to spend that kind of money! Hey DS Motor Builders of USA, how about a little R&D here in Ohio. I'll test that Big Bore kit out for you, free of course!

Old 03-22-2002, 12:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

14mins, Hey if Knutz can ride a Raptor, then I can too![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Will AJAX take off the Raptor smell?LOL. You think if I put race1 cams, 12:1 piston,HD valvesprings,and Twin 38mm Alcohol Carbs that I could give you a decent race?

P.S. if you fly your OU SOONERS flag, the Highway patrol won't stop you.LOL

Biggerisbetter.

Old 03-22-2002, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

Whouldnt that the the RWR stage 3. Why cant we plan for over 65 hp? Is it that hard to make hp in the DS? But with all that improved breathing it should come alive and rip. What is the Pleateu of hp for the DS? 55hp? 58?

Old 03-22-2002, 02:51 AM
Pro Rider

I'd like to see Knutz do some dyno tested Stage I and Stage II kits.
Stock must be about 40 hp?
These would be something like RWR, but better, Team Pami...

...Stage I, Bolt-ons,
pipe, clamp-on filter, heavy duty clutch springs and CDI You could add the 42mm flatslide Mikuni here too. 45-50hp? . Next phase gets INTO the top end, this is still just bolt-ons. Find the combination here that really works.

...Stage II, Top end,
Cams, heavy duty valve springs, valve job, port and polish, 42mm flatslide Mikuni, forged piston(super-unleaded, 11:1? too high?)
This is still just bolt-ons and top end work, send in the head UPS, or a local shop might be able to do the head work. With the right combination this should bring 55-60hp.

...Stage III is the 703, Big Bore,
now you gotta ship the whole motor, crank gets beefed up, 45mm Mikuni, oversized valves etc. What are we up to now, 65 hp?

...Stage IV the 760.
All of the above and maybe 70-75 hp?

Though this resembles the Ron Wood stages, there are some key differences.
The main idea here is to figure out the best combination at each level, Bolt-on, Top-end, or full bore motor work. For instance, thanks to Knutz, we know the 45mm Mikuni is too big for the near stock motors in the Ron Wood stage I, and we're adding Pami clutch springs. Knutz has also confirmed the clamp-on filter being good for a couple of ponies.

I think if we had more of this kind of information, and dyno numbers to go with it, we could easily figure out what we want and BUY IT!! I think that's why we're all on this Forum. Tell us what works, and what doesn't.... Please? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-22-2002, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

What are the advantages between the flatside and stock 42mm? More flow? Enough to get it over a 45mm?

Old 03-22-2002, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

With the 42mm flat slide you should get better throttle response and more air flow. You due not have butter fly valve in the carb. Jut make sue you get one with a accelerator pump.

Quick Reply: Raptor Envy, cheap performance upgrades