CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Raptor Envy, cheap performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Over in Yamaha land a Raptor dynos at 39 hp with a filter and pipe, then gets a webcam, 13 to 1 piston, port and polish, different pipe and gets over 60 HP!! His motor work cost less than a grand.
....We know it is more expensive to mod the DS, but there has to be some combination of carb and cams, bolt-on type stuff that gets us the "magic combination" without getting into full-blown (no pun intended) motor work.
....Like a 42mm Flatslide Mikuni, cams and heavy duty valve springs, port and polish, forged piston, but I would still like to run pump gas, so 11:1?... Heavy duty clutch springs, CDI, clamp on K&N and a good pipe are a given, stock headpipes should work.
....Done correctly, shouldn't we be able to get close to 60 hp?
This would be a top-end job only, you might have to send the head off, but not the whole motor. Any machine shop can fit the new piston.

Old 03-20-2002, 01:14 PM
Pro Rider

Do all that and use a bigger bore piston and I think it would be over 60hp closer to 65 maybe.

Old 03-20-2002, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

And you guys really believe those HP #'s? Does it sound reasonable to be getting a 55% gain from those simple bolt ons? I'll have a similarly preped DS on the dyno in the near future, I'll let everyone know what I get.

Old 03-20-2002, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

It only makes sense because the Raptor is so detuned stock. Look what huge gains are made with just a pipe, jets, and modded airbox. I think 50 hp out of both the DS and Raptor is pretty easily done, without major motor work. It's that next 10 horsepower that's going to cost, and the 10 after that.
.....For those of us who are not going to go to the trouble and expense of a big bore job with the related crank work, bolt-ons are very appealing.
.....Any vacuum carb is a liability, a 42mm flatslide, with accelerator pump, for a near stock motor, makes sense. Pulling the head is pretty easy compared to pulling the engine and shipping all 100+ pounds. A head could go UPS fast and cheap. Port and polish, even some valve work, heavy duty valve springs, maybe cams too. Throw an 11:1 forged piston, carb and heavy duty clutch springs in the box. CDI and pipe would be a must.....Should be a pretty quick turn around time. The head could come preassembled with valves adjusted.

......What do you think Knutz? How much dough and how many Hp can we get without losing any low end? or losing the lower end for that matter. At this stage would reliability become a problem without doing the lower end work?

.....So what I'm asking for is...
..42mm flatslide Mikuni
..All-around Cams, with a little more top end, rather not lose anything down low. My stock motor likes 8,000 rpm, how about another 500-1000rpm?
..Heavy Duty valve springs
..3 angle valve job?
..Port and Polish (had any luck here?)
..Forged 11:1 piston and rings
..Heavy duty clutch springs
I already have the CDI and an okay pipe. There are better pipes, but my DS is as loud as I can stand now.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2002, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

well fourlix I have most of the mods the only changes is I have the 40mm QS and I will get the port work done this summer. I due not know the HP but it is fast, scary fast. I just got the cams in last week and was out doing some spark plug runs to make sure the jetting was ok. The place I test at I used to get in to fifth gear and count to 4 and shut off the engine and coast to a stop. Now I can get only in to 4th gear and two counts and grab breaks before I tear up the bushes. I due not think it is up to 60 HP but it should be in the mid 50's

Old 03-20-2002, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

I would have to see dyno proof of the 60 hp before I got my feathers ruffled.
What rpm is it turning to get to those numbers? Better yet, how long will it last?
If I build my motor I like to know that it won't granade half way up the hill or 10 miles from camp...i'm kinda funny that way.

Old 03-20-2002, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

I just talked to Quicksilver, division of Edelbrock. There will be NO Quicksilver Carb for the DS-650! Lack of interest they say. They have gotten only a handful of calls on the DS carb and are not willing to tool up for such little interest. The new Raptor setup in contrast, is getting 10 calls an hour! The single carb setup for the Raptor produces 5 more hp than a dynojetted stock setup. The DS was only getting 2 more hp.
.....So I guess the flatslide Mikuni is our only option........42mm for stockers, 45mm for the 703 & 760 eh?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 03-20-2002, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

Guys, I've posted this many times before. What you are basicaly describing is a RWR stage 2. I've had mine dyno'd twice and didn't even get to 50 either time.

As soon as Knutz puts my 703 back together I'm going to make sure he dynos it and ig he's too busy, I will bring it to the shop myself.

I'm guessing that I will get NO MORE THAN 60hp and thats with added cams too.

I'm not trying to knock Dons 703, I love it, but I think you guys are expecting too much. Sorry.

Old 03-20-2002, 08:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would like to know the Torque on the 703 vs 686. Torque is what moves you anyway, and torque is what I love about my 4-stroke. If you want hp get a Banshee and Mod it to the hilt, then sit on your "hillshooter" and watch how much fun all the "Torque Monsters" are having on the dunes. I think we can all agree that Torque is much more fun then hp.

Biggerisbetter.

Old 03-20-2002, 10:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Heres the quote of the thread fourlix is talking about.

"Just picked up my Raptor yesterday from the shop. Got a JE standard Bore 13.1 piston a WebCam all around cam, Ported and Polished, And clutch springs and plates. I got a before dyno with just My pipe and filter jet and all that and only turned out at 39.5 HP. Very dissapointed. After all the other mods were finished and Jetted, through on dyno again and did three runs. 54.6, 54.9, then a 55.7. I am running a dynojet 48/50 and it is still running lean. They say to go two sizes up. I am oredering my CT exhaust tomorow and gonna ask Alan what jets he says. They say that with the CT I will more than likely be in the 58-61 HP range.

All the motor work and labor cost me $905, not to bad and only took 2 1/2 weeks. All I had to do was drop quad off at shop
"

Quick Reply: Raptor Envy, cheap performance upgrades