CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Which is the Best exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 11:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking into buying an exhaust for my 2001 Ds. I just got the four wheeler about a month ago. Already bought sand tires for riding the dunes. My cousin just bought a raptor and got an exhaust system and jetted. Hes out in front of me by a bike or two. I would like to even the odds. I'm a big rider. 6'4 350lbs. I'm looking for the most horsepower gain i can get. I have started looking at a few exhaust. Ct racing, ron woods, Big gun. I want a full system. Does anyone have dyno results to help me? Any info would help.

Old 03-21-2002, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

I would stay away from the big gun, I love the sound and the power is there, but I was looking over my bike today as I load to go to little sahara and the finish looks like crap. It says to use brake cleaner to clean it and occasionaly use mothers to polish it up. I guess I need to break out the mothers polish, but it seems to me that I should not have to do that yet. The exhaust is only like 2 months old and just a few rides.

That is my 2 cents, I think I would check the ron wood if I were doing it again.

Bat

Old 03-22-2002, 01:16 AM
Range Rover

I'm pleased with my HMF slip-on. It fit well, and appears to be a high quality piece that should hold up for a very long time. I can't say my maximum hp has improved much, but the low-mid range has gained alot! Which is just what I wanted. What dyno "claims" I found, didn't give me any reason to get a full system. Most manufactures full systems only claimed 1 hp more than HMF claimed with their slip-on. I know "claims" and results are two diffenent things, but I didn't think the 1 or 2 hp was worth the extra $200 I would have had to paid for a full system.

Old 03-22-2002, 01:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

CT racing web site has dyno charts on their DS pipe, but it is with only 12 disks installed. 18 or 20 is optimum.
I've not seen dyno comparisons on any any of the other pipes, only charts from bikes that had all different kinds of intake/filter arrangements, so no fair comparison is available that I know of.

Just by looking at all the full systems, the RWR pipe looks to be the most logical winner of power production, because it is designed with the least curves/bends, the headpipes are a continuous 180 bend that requires the removal of the heat shield on the back of the fan (which has not effected the performance of my fan), and it has about the biggest megaphone I've ever seen. Running disks on a RWR pipe gives more bottom end, and top end believe it or not. I run 20 disks on mine, and it made quite a difference from the open end. I can pull 400rpm more at the top of fith gear than I could with the open end, jetted accordingly of course, and I can't keep the front down on a holeshot with my sack sitting on the gas cap. My buddies Raptor used to beat me on 100yrd drag, but not any more.

I don't like how long the RWR is though - its vulnerable to damage in a roll over. If the finish doesn't hold up like some of you other guys, I think I'll go Yoshi, stay strictly stainless and alum. Even if I lose a horse or two, I'm still fast enough for who I ride with, right now anyway...but I guess we won't realy know about that until we see a pipe shootout like we've seen for the Raptor and 400EX.

Old 03-22-2002, 03:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well, considering everyone else's pipes are working okay (no one in here is complaining about leaks which is good) but the looks are fading. My E-Series looks factory perfect today, just like it did when I installed it. The ship it from the factory with the 'ideal' number of discs from their testing. I have no idea how it compares to the other pipes in power, but it does feel good on bottom. I still have yet to have seen another pipe that I'd buy instead if I could do it over. Although now I would consider three: E-Series, HMF and Custom X.

Old 03-22-2002, 06:35 AM
Pro Rider

3tv, what you said about how your pipe looks, is the same as mine. It was a nice shiny ceramic and now just dull grey with spots on it that look like rust. I have only had this pipe on for about 2 months and only about 4-5 rides (winter sucks).

Sorry to hear about the chain roller, I have checked my chain and it appears to be within spec.

I am up in the middle of the night, because my allergies decided to start giving me a fit and every time I lay down I either cant breathe or my nose starts to run. I am not going to let it bother me though.

I will be leaving here in a couple of hours.

Bat

Old 03-22-2002, 07:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Speaking of chain rollers, my stock roller wollered out to a hole twice the original size and had to be replaced after 10 hours too. I put a double bearinged roller from TM Designworks on in its place. 40 hours later she still like new. Makes a little wizzing noise when you're on it, but I don't mind. I check the chain adjustment every ride, as with any bike.

1BigDSRider - with your size, you'll be on the roller more than most, so I would expect to replace the roller pretty soon. Get one now, you'll be glad you have it on hand. Get the bearing roller, screw the stock - $30 from TM Designworks, $40 from Alba. Keep the chain adjusted right for maximum life, and make sure your rear shock preload is set right too. Instructions for this in the manual - they're right on - 3 to 4" of sag when you get on. If you've got too much sag then you'll be on the roller all the time.

Old 03-22-2002, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

My girl has a Big Gun slip-on on her 400. When it first arrived it was dull. I used Mothers on it for about 45 minutes!!! It looked like a mirror then, but it loses its luster fast.
If you are stuck on a full system I can't help you, but I like 'Lightweight' have the HMF slip-on. It is a great pipe & only costs $189. (plus $30 for a spark arrestor!!! sheesh!) The power is mostly down low, but it makes trailriding much more fun. Now I wheelie out of corners in 1st & 2nd instead of bog. With the pipe & new tires my holeshot is 10 times better.
HMF's dyno chart only showed a 1 HP gain with a full system compared to a slip-on for their Raptor pipes. 1 HP wasn't worth $200+ more to me. But then again I have no crazy modification plans in the future either.....

Old 03-22-2002, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

Hey 3TV....

You might be in luck I think that I still have my stock roller in the garage and if I do I will bring it with me this weekend to the dunes for ya...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-22-2002, 10:40 AM
Trailblazer

I have the Alba pipe and i love it. I run 19 disks and a 172.5 main jet and this thing rips. It has a lot of power down low and it just keeps reving. It fit perfect no leaks. The only thing is the coting on the head pipe faded ( it took it about 6 month to start fading). the pipe has a cool sound to like a 5.0 mustang.

Quick Reply: Which is the Best exhaust?