CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Alba A-Arms Squeeking

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002 | 09:54 PM
|
Pro Rider

I have the upper and lowers from Alba. I understand from other posts that they are American Star Racing a-arms. Does anyone else have them that know the proper way to maintain then. They don't have grease zirks so what do I do. Mine squeek badly after about a 1/2 hr of ridding. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] And they continue to squeek untill they get washed. Any thoughts or ideas out there.
Thank for the help.

Old 04-06-2002 | 10:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If they stop squeaking when you wash, then the water must be lubing them. This would lead me to believe that there isn't enough lube on their pivots, or perhaps the bolts are too tight. With no zirks, you'll have to remove the pivot bolts, generously lube the bushings and bolts, and re-assemble. Do not overtighten, the locknuts don't need serious torque to keep them on. Overtightening can interfere with suspension action. The factory torque on my stock a-arms was too tight, and they squeaked because of this, no matter how much lube they had. I had to loosen them, then they were quiet from then on. I would remove the pivot bolts and re-lube every 100 hours, unless those American Star's came with some permanent lube impregnated bushings like utility quads have.

Old 04-06-2002 | 10:58 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thank Hightower,

I'll give that a try. These ASR a-arms have a allen bolt where a zirk fitting would normally go. However it's way, way to big for a zirk fitting. But maybe I can remove it and lube it through there. When I torqued them I used the Bombs torque spec's as there where none for the ASR's a-arms.

Old 04-07-2002 | 12:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You can get metric grease fittings in 6,8, and 10mm, and inch fittings in 1/4", 5/16", and 1/8"Pipe thread - if the allen plugs you're talking about will allow grease to get where it needs to be, then I'd aquire the appropriate fittings and install them. I wish I have seen these a-arms in person, I could be more help.
Most Ace Hardware stores have a McMaster Carr Industrial Supply catalog - you can have your local store order the right fittings for you if you determine the exact size needed for the allen hole, or you can go to the McMaster Carr website.

Old 04-07-2002 | 12:19 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks again Hightower,
I will check into that for sure and let everyone know what I find.
However today is a perfect ridding day here in Southern Cal. So it will have to be tomorrow after that dirty word that is still necessary. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2002 | 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

Eagle,

Where are you at and where do you ride. I'm looking for riding partners. I'm in Anaheim and go to El Mirage, Pinion Hills. You know of any others?

Drop me a e-mail jasmith@lexam.net, if you want to go.

Later

Smitty

Old 04-07-2002 | 09:53 PM
|
Pro Rider

Smitty,
I'm over in Corona about 20 min or so east of Anaheim on the 91.
We also go to El Mariage once in a while. Never been to Pinion Hills though. Where is that? Winter time we hit the low desert. Salton sea area off North Marina Drive. It's near Ansa Berago and Qcatia Wells (not sure of the spelling on either of those) we use this place as our long weekend camping trips. Day rides include Date Palm exit out in Indio, (good for hill shoots on sandy woops & desert trails) Boumont where the 60 and 10 freeways meet, (small hills, very rutty, and a sand wash. We sometimes get run out of here by the local law though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] ) Now that summer is on it's way we will be headed for Lake arrowhead. To an area called the Pinicals. Miles and miles of mountain trails to ride. Very cool place.
I'm looking forward to that. We sometimes stay overnight Friday and Saturday when we go to the Pinicals. Not sure what direction we are going next weekend. But i'll drop you an e-mail later in the week and let ya know. It's usually my brother, he rides a Raptor. Me on a DS. At least one of his kids on a RM 80 and Sometimes my son on a YZ250. when he doesn't have a broken bone any way [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-08-2002 | 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Mine squeaks too, I sound like a friggin Sherman tank when I cruise on flats.

Old 04-08-2002 | 09:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

OOoh! A cannondale speed. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] That will do 1 of 3-4 things for me. Make me happy. (If I win) Make me sad (If I lose) Make me spend more money to go faster (If I lose) Tee Hee. Would like to see one up close and in action anyway. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-08-2002 | 09:20 PM
|
Pro Rider

Hey bro,
I to would like to see a cannondale in action. They look way fast that is fer sure. Would be great to get a look at one in action. Maybe Chris will have an even harder decision on his hands. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Alba A-Arms Squeeking