CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Stock BSR carb flaw?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 05:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed, quite a while back when tuning for my RWR pipe, that Bombardier has made a mod to the stock BSR carb on the DS that seems to suck, and Dynojet has overlooked it.

You guys ever notice that the jet needle is not centered in the hole at the bottom of the slide? (at least on mine) This makes the needle rub the side of the main jet and needle jet, wearng a mark on the jet needle.

The reason its crooked is that the bottom of the hole in the slide is not round - its D shaped. I assume that it is D shaped so the cir-clip sits in it perfect, but Bomb has installed a white pastic spacer to jack the needle up, and this spacer sits on the edge of the D, causing the needle to sit crooked.

I cured it by filing a flat on the spacer, so it sits in the D flat, and the needle is now straight and doesn't rub the side of anything anymore. This should make for better atomization, although I feel no performance gain (nor did I expect to), but one thing's for sure - the parts will last longer since they are not rubbing and wearing.

And then along comes Dynojet - overlooking the same issue Bomb did!

Old 04-22-2002, 02:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Come-on, is anybody else's needle crooked??

Old 04-22-2002, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider

Mine was ok but when i changed it to the dynojet i did not clip it right so it did rub ,i had to take it apart an clip it right now it's ok,maybe thats what you did.

DSWOLF.

Old 04-22-2002, 04:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mine rubbs! And nextime I take my carb off, I will do what you did! Thanks ALLOT for the Info:[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Biggeisbetter.

Old 04-22-2002, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mine has a steel washer that sit under the white plastic spacer yuo are talking about and I filed that one on one side and fit it in the d shape at the bottom of the slide. "Hightower" Did you have the steel washer under the white spacer. My needle was set stock on the 4th from top. Now that it seats correctly I can feel a little up and down spring pressure on the needle. Is this correct?

Old 04-22-2002, 10:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

JR650 - mine had the metal spacer on bottom too, with the white plastic next, then the needle clip, with another metal washer on top. The bottom metal spacer is a little thinner than the depth of the "D" hole, so I ground the white spacer and put it on bottom, followed by the metal spacer. If you swap the two, its still the same amount of spacing.

Doing this will make the needle sit a tiny bit lower, because one side of it was jacked up a little when it was crooked. For most, the tiny bit of spacing difference will not effect performance, but if it does then add another spacer to get it back where it was, or remove the bottom metal spacer and drop the clip one groove.

DSWOLF - I think you misunderstood, I'm talking about the way the slide is molded - it has a "D" at the bottom of the hole that the needle sits in, making it impossible for the needle to be straight. If yours doesn't, then it must be something that started with '01 models or something. What year is yours?