CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Newbie DS650 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, I just got my new Baja, and It's my first manual clutch. Ok, why can't I ever find neutral, and why when I shift up from neutral, and pop the clutch out, does it die??? Also, why does the engine die when I stop? Just not broken in yet? Oh yeah, and what gear does everyone start of in for trail/drag racing? Ok, that's all, I think. Oh yeah,I love it!!! way better than my Scrambler

Old 05-08-2002, 11:25 PM
Trailblazer

OK i have an 02' Baja and go all the way down and 1/2 a click up and hats all you can do to get neutral. And when you shift up from Neutral and pop the clutch it dies cause thats 2nd gear, go down 1 the rest up and dont pop the clutch ease it out. And when you get ready to stop pull the lever on the left sude of the handlebar...this is the all mighty clutch. And it depends on the terrain your on for which ger you start.

Drag Racing in Sand or soft/muddy terrain: 2nd gear
Drag Racing in Hard Pack Terrain:1st gear

Trail riding:1st gear...

Good luck.

Old 05-08-2002, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Well first of all, you will just need some getting use to, to find neutral. Second, you need to keep revved up more if your going to start out in 2nd gear, because if not it will die. For starts it's mostly prefrence of the rider. I start in 2nd gear, but it took me a while to get used to it. I got the same fourwheeler and having the frame powdercaoted as we speak. I would suggest taking your quad to the dealers after the first 10 hours and have them service it and check the valves. Later, J.D.

Old 05-08-2002, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may need to adjust your reeds (jk)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-08-2002, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

<< you may need to adjust your reeds (jk)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] >>

Did he buy a saxaphone or a quad?

Old 05-09-2002, 01:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Adam, once you get the hang of the clutch,and the gear box. ITS going to get REALLY fun![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] GOOD LUCK MAN!!!!

Biggerisbetter.

Old 05-09-2002, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, I kind got the hang of it now, but when I do a wheelie in first, I can only do one for like a second, then the engine revvs up, and I switch to second, then I loose the wheelie. Whatsup with that?

I did some jumps today, man that thing lands like a dream compared to my Scrambler. Ok, any advice? All is welcome. I'm sure I'll have more questions later

Old 05-09-2002, 08:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

First clutch is DS650! Wish I were so lucky!
Be careful man, its a mean machine - do not take any hills that are so steep you can't stop on them and get off without the bike flipping or rolling away, until you are really used to it and have the clutch work down by instinct...too many people take really steep hills in the wrong gear, can't feather the clutch right to make it, and wind up killing the bike and coming down backwards by pulling the clutch, or flipping over backwards by not pulling it...this is where the hospital comes in, trust me 490lbs wet weight hurts to be under!

Old 05-09-2002, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, another question. I only weigh about 130, and when I get on the DS the sag is about 3 in, but I can go to the back and pick it uo, with nobody on it, and it will go up like another 4 inches. What should it be set at? Also, still having the same problem, oh well, I'll put up another post about it.

Old 05-10-2002, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, you only weigh 130!? I thought I was the lightest DS rider, at 150#. I got 20# on you!

Quick Reply: Newbie DS650 Questions