CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Advanced Ignition Key (any experience out there?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2002, 02:56 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all...So I'm sitting here wondering ... hmmm, what's cheap and can make my quad go faster without really digging into the engine? Well, a buddy of mine just got a Banshee and then put a 4 degree Adv. Ignition Key onto it and noticed a good deal of improvement. I also remember out at Glamis a couple months ago talking to a 440EX (on booze) owner that swore by his 4 degree key... (do you see a pattern forming yet?). Anyway, I was kinda bummed out that I couldn't find one for the DS650....until the latest Dirt Wheels came out. Their buyer's guide for the DS (although it was kinda short) noted a RWR advance key for $10.00.....WHOOO HOOO... cheap HP! Well, then I woke up....actually I called RWR before going down to see if they had them in the shop. The guy who answered the phone (can't remember his name) was very helpful and told me that he didn't recommend the advance key for the Quad engine. WOW, that was a shocker...didn't I just see it advertized in a QUAD magazine? He said that with the offset, it provides a weaker link between the shaft and the flywheel and since the starter is on the flywheel, starting the engine puts alot of touque on that key.

Soooo, my question is, does anyone have any experience with this setup? I figure that if I spend 10 bucks on an advance ignition key, it shears off and I end up chewing my flywheel up inside the case, I will probably be pretty bummed out (a $10 thrill ride turns into a $2K overhaul [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img])...then my Banshee friend said that if the nut is on the flywheel and tourqued to the right specs, and the key shears, then the flywheel just sits and spins and doesn't hurt anything.

Any suggestions or experience?

Old 05-11-2002, 03:00 AM
Trailblazer

Oh, by the way, our group (my DS650, banshee and a Speed 440) are going to be out at El Mirage dry lake bed in CA tomorrow. We'll have the following toys:
1. Black 2001 Dodge Ram Pickup w/ 2001 DS 650
2. White 1987 Chevy Extended cab w/ blue Banshee, Honda CR80 and Suzuki 80
3. White 1973 Ford F150 Pickup with Cannondale Speed 440 and older Suzuki 125 Motorcycle.

Off of the main entrance, we'll be down the right hand side of the lakebed about 1/4 mile. If anyone's interested in a last minute ride, look us up tomorrow.

Later,
Alan

Old 05-11-2002, 01:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The advanced timing of the RWR CDI box made a nice difference throughout the entire power band on my DS, but its not cheap - $300. It also brings the peak HP rpm up too.
I too have heard the same things you mentioned above, I don't want to take a chance, just like you are saying...

Old 05-12-2002, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer

Hightower,
I agree, I love the CDI Box from RWR ... that gives a couple more R's at the top and a much better power curve. Actually, I was trying to describe the shaft woodruff key that sits between the drive shaft and flywheel. It supposedly rotates the flywheel forward about 4 degrees (or more if you want to drag all the time) and gets an advanced spark. I wasn't sure if this is what you were referring to and realized that my original post wasn't all that clear. I also noticed that my post has had 90 views and 3 replies (including this one), so I've either got everyone confused or noone's worked with it.

Anyone?

Old 05-13-2002, 07:31 PM
Range Rover
when your holding the football - people will throw evrything they can at you to strip it away .... including the waterboy at the end of the bench.

The key does not hold the flywheel on the shaft or even keep it from spinning on the shaft...the entire purpose of the key is to index the flywheel "x" amount of degrees forward. The taper of the shaft and the torque of the nut is what holds the flywheel in place, not the key.

Old 05-13-2002, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Forcefed,
I agree to what your saying,but for some reason the DS is shearing the degree keys.
I once looked into getting one,and was talked out of it by Ron Woods because of shearing problem.
They said they have had no problems with the degree keys on the F650 though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Jeff

Old 05-13-2002, 10:18 PM
Trailblazer

Jeff and Forcefed, thanks for the replies! There must be some tourque on them to shear and it seems that RWR has a consitent message, so that's good (probably shouldn't have listed it as a mod in DirtWheels though). Jeff, any damage when the key shears, or just a "no-go" kinda feeling?

Old 05-13-2002, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer

Could you not just file the trigger bolt holes and slide the trigger back to advance the timing.We do this all the time on our ski-doos.On some models this is how you are to adjust it.You check with a dial indicator in the spark plug hole.Since you can't use this tool on the DS you'll have to check it with a timing light and measure the amout of advance.I'm going to try it on my DS when I get the time.I'll let you guys know how it works.

Old 05-14-2002, 12:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't really know much about this key you speak of, I may have a misunderstanding, but now I'm more curious. I gather that this key, as well as the method dsguru is describing advances the ignition timing. Is this just a cheeper alternative to aftermarket CDI's that also advance timing, or is the ending result not the same? Inquiring minds want to know...
Thanks.

Old 05-14-2002, 04:49 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

I remember reading that he stock cdi is supposed to drop voltage a couple hunndred rpms before the rev limiter cuts in. Plus the fact you still have a rev limiter. But filing or a key seems to be a cheap alternative to the aftermarket cdi.

Quick Reply: Advanced Ignition Key (any experience out there?)