CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

NowI know what they mean by twitchy steering!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went and test drove a 2000 DS650. I loved everything about it except for the steering. I had to drive it on the street because the guy didn't have any trails to ride on. I thought I was going to die. There were a couple times I was really scared. It got much better once I was on the gravel. That will be the first thing I fix/upgrade on this bike. How expensive is it for the A arm upgrade? Does it really fix it? We ride in the mountains of Kentucky but there are streches that we have to ride on the street to get to the trails. There is no way I could ride this bike on the street like that. I can imagine trying to pass my buddies 400ex and killing both of us. I was really upset because i wanted to wind it out, but every time I tried I almost flipped it. What have you guys done to fix this?

Old 05-15-2002, 10:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know the front end needs improvement, but that much. i always take my DS on the rode to do wheelies and stuff and i never have problems keeping it under control. maybe something else was tweaked since it was used.

Old 05-15-2002, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

I was wondering if there was more wrong than just the average DS's twitchy steering, but I have nothing to compare it to. Maybe it had too much toe in. Does a bit of toe out help this twitchyness?

Old 05-15-2002, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

I have driven 70mph on pavement and no problems. You must get used to it.

Old 05-15-2002, 11:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The bike needs set up for the rider on it. Suspension sag first, then toe. 1/8 toe out is ideal for the DS. Toe must be set right though, look up previous threads on this for instruction. 1/8 toe out with rider on the the seat!
Another big improvement is to throw the dominators in the trash, front and back.
The caster angle is the problem on the front end, but toe and tires can help cover it up. The aftermarket a-arms that are adjustable can be set for the correct caster.

Old 05-15-2002, 11:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Rockey, after you dial in your toe in/out, and your preload to your weight. It should make drastic changes to the handling. Also people say that changing tires also helps alot. If you like everything else about the DS, I wouldn't let this scare you off.GOOD LUCK.

DOH! Hightower beat me to it[sorry i'm a slowwww typier]

Jbomb, when did you get that new ride? I LOVE THOSE TRUCKS! I just bought the wife a new "Lariat" Supercrew. I wish it came with 340hp/425ft.lbs torque.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] CONGRATS ON THE NEW RIDE!

Biggerisbetter.

Old 05-16-2002, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

It definitely hasn't scared me off. This bike seems like a great deal. I can't wait until I sell my Mustang so I can buy 1 up. I think I will try Hightowers advice once I get it. I weigh in at 150# and the current owner is quite a bit bigger. I didnt ask how he had the suspension set up - Great points.

Old 05-16-2002, 12:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

As the suspension is compressed, the toe moves further out, and as it extends the toe moves in. If the previous owner actually did have it set for a much heavier rider, then your light weight will indicate a toe-in situation because you won't be squatting it as far as he did. This toe-in will make the front wander more than the ideal 1/8" toe-out. On the other hand, too much toe-out causes the steering to feel real funky, and not respond as well to sharp turns. Some riders like neutral toe - just try a few settings and stick with what feels best. I can honestly say that "twitchy, wandering" steering does not exist on my bike, at least with me riding it, at any speed, and all I did was go with 2" of sag on the front shock preload, 1/8" toe-out, and Ohtsu radials all the way around. Couldn't be happier. Then again I'm 6'8" 240# which probably helps too. Lighter riders seem to notice it worse I think.

Old 05-16-2002, 08:25 AM
Pro Rider

Biggerisbetter,
I just bought the truck last week. It is one awesome truck. I thought you were a Dodge man.

Old 05-16-2002, 12:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I love my Dodge! and loved ALL 3 tranny's that I have went through.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] And at idle, My burnt-valve feels like a RACE CAM![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Ford definately has made a great looking "station wagon" with the SuperCrew.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

P.S. are you guy's coming down on Memorial week/end? Sounds like theirs going to be a PAMI 760 to play with.

Biggerisbetter.

Quick Reply: NowI know what they mean by twitchy steering!