CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

new problem, my ds wont come off idle.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was out riding after work tonight with some freinds and we wound up on some private property that the local comunity collage owns and does not use. We had found a fun jump in the middle of some weeds and had been hitting it for abought ten minutes and then the cop showed up. we drove up to him and shut our machines off and he asked us politely to leave so we agrede and when he left my ds was dead. The fan was on but every time I hit the starter button the fan would just abought quite. Naturaly i checked all connections and came to the conclusion that the battery must have just up and took a crap on me. So we push started it and everyone took off and when i hit the gas to go it just started poping and sputtering. It would idle fine and come just off of idle then strt poping. I had to drive 3 milles back at just off of idle. Would a bad battery cause it to run like that? after finding a hill to park on near the truck i shut it off and let it set for no more than a minute and re push started it. Then all of a sudden it ran perfect. Now at home i wanted to jump start it and see if it still ran good but the wife wont let me run around the yard this late for fear of upsetting the neighbors. Has any one got any ideas what might be the culperate? I would apreciate any ideas of stuf to check. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2002, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

A low battery will cause this. Check your battery for the proper volts and also check the charging system. My buddies black box under the rear fender had wires cut that caused his system not to charge, and caused this same issue while on a riding trip. Jump it and charge it for a while. It would then run great for about 30 to 45 min, then the same thing.

Old 05-16-2002, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

WELL THE FIRST THING THAT CAME TO MY MIND WHEN READING YOUR POST WAS YOUR CARB BOOT CAME A LITTEL LOSE THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME WHEN I WAS HITTING A 10 FOOT SET OF DOUBLES . THE BIKE WOULD IDLE OK BUT AS SOON AS YOU HIT THE GAS ITS WOULD POP AND BACK FIRE .. BUT IF YOU LET IT SIT AND THEN IT RAN FINE ..I DUNNO . JUST MY 02.

Old 05-16-2002, 12:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Did you get any water into the intake tract?

Old 05-16-2002, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

The ignition system runs off the battery, not the stator[like a car], so a bad battery will keep it from running properly even after it has been started.

The easiest check is to use a set of jumper cables to your car or truck. If it starts and runs fine when hooked up to the jumpers, but reverts back as soon as the cables are dis-connected, it's the battery. It's entirely possible that your jumping has shaken the battery to the point that a couple of plates have grounded out to eachother.

Old 05-16-2002, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

Had the exact same problem with my quad right after purchase. idles fine but when you try and drive it, it pops and sputters. Turned out the voltage regulator was putting out 20 instead of 12 or 14.

Old 05-16-2002, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

I just whent out and messed with it. I tried putting the charger on it on boost thinking it would be enough that if the battery was dead it would suply suficent juce to make it run but the first time it started it only ran for 15-20 seconds then it would only run for a couple seconds then die. I then decided to take the batery out of the lawn mower and try. It fired right up and ran perfect. I have no way to tell if the charging system is working properly. When i went to hook the charger up i noticed that one of the ruber tabs under the battery was missing alowing it to bounce around abought a quarter inch or so. I think that if i replace the battery it should be fine. How do you check to see if the charging system is working. I would hate to replace the batery just to find out the thing isint charging. Thanks.