CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

A lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 01:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my DS is back at the dealer for a second time. I just bought it last nov, so I'm starting to seriously doubt the quality of Bombardier's wiring. The first time it messed up was when the ignition box went out, and now my fan won't shut off. Without the engine even running, you turn the key on and the fan comes on, even after the bike has sat overnight. You turn the key off and the fan shuts off. However, what's wierd is that after you turn the key off, the dash lights slowly dim in connection with the fan coasting to a stop. How can this be happening? My best guess is that the temp sensor is bad and telling the fan it needs to always be on, but I have no idea about the dash lights.
Considering that I had the only bad ignition box anybody had ever heard of, and now this wierd problem, I'm wondering if I got a factory lemon. Somebody please tell me this isn't the case. I really love my DS, but I can't own a machine that I have to haul off to the dealer after every 5 or 6 times I ride it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-19-2002, 04:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Hey lightweight from what your saying the unit has a batt charging problem or bad batt and if you don't fix the problem right you wiil continue to have elec problems rigth not it appears you have a fan relay stuck un plug that your problem will go away .I dought the bike is a lemon.but if you don't fix it right then you will have more problems good luck!!!!

ps: some time you have to question the quality of where your taking it to be fixed and not the unit.not knocking dealer some are great but other are lacking experienced guys and try to get by with leftovers.

note:low voltage can burn up contacts in relays and starters,overheat wiring causing melt down.and most charging system once discharged must be charged externaly of the unit the charging systems are maintenace only!!!

Old 05-20-2002, 01:04 PM
Range Rover

Hmmm, I never thought of that. I'll call my dealer and tell him to look into it. To be honest, I haven't even tried to investigate the problems. I figure, with as new as the machine is, I shouldn't have to. Maybe I would be better off buying a DS manual, and figuring things out myself. Considering my dealership is a 2 1/2 drive north of here, it may even be the simpler thing for me to do. Either way, it's irritating to spend that much $$ on something, and to have problems with it this soon.

Old 05-20-2002, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

My dash lights like to go out slowely to when the machine is hot. Quite often when i shut the key off after a hard ride it will just keep runing for a litle bit. Then start missing then shut off. It has gotten to the point that when this happens I just hit the kill switch and shut it down. I shure hope this is not a sighn of more problems to come. I have spent abought $500 bucks on repairs in the last week. Between the $81 battery and $370 shocks I cant aford any more right now.

Old 05-20-2002, 09:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

HEY lightweight your hanging with the most advanced ds group out there and there are much more knowlagable people on this site than me if you get a manuel and ask a few questions im sure they can get you thur any problem.and i understand your fustrations but thats play toys.PS if i had any questions i would talk to 720,knutz,knowsalot,these guy's have there acts together.later

Old 05-20-2002, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer

my DS has soem electrical problems too. every time i wash it after a ride, about 10 minutes after i put it away it will try to start it self. i take out the key, pull off the tether, and switch the kill switch but it still keeps trying to start on its own. i think it has something to do with my tether but not sure.

Old 05-20-2002, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

I also have the same symptom...does not shut down when I turn the key after hard riding. It's almost like it's dieseling or something. It's happened to me a few times and I also just hit the run switch then it dies. I hope this isn't a precursor to bigger more expensive problems...hadn't thought about that till this thread[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 05-21-2002, 12:52 PM
Trailblazer

Jiminok is your fan running when you go to shut it off?I think the fan motor back fields the coils and it will not shut off right away .Happans on my DS.

Old 05-21-2002, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

dsguru...yeah, now that you mention it...although it's been about three months since I've been in the saddle, it definately seems to me that the fan was running each time this happened. Surely someone out there has the time and energy to figure out whats going on. Do you really think the fan's small windings could generate enough amps/volts to backfeed the coils? I read in the shop manual that each major component of the electrical system is on the pos. side of the circuit and then is switched to ground...with a 260 watt stator generating the charge, and the regulator/rectifier taking over from there, the primary switch to ground, being the ignition (key), may not be sufficient to redirect the generated power away from the coils to ground...only after hitting the (secondary) kill switch will the engine stop. I really don't have much of a grasp as to how all this works...but I'd like too! Perhaps someone wouldn't mind getting in touch with Bombardier or knows an exceptional mechanic/electrical tech/engineer that would be able let us know if this is something we should be concerned about. Hmmmmmm...

Old 05-21-2002, 10:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It is common and no indication of a problem for you to have to hit the kill switch to shut down the motor, due to the continued running after the key is turned off.
My DS is the same way, always has been, and many other machines are the same - my Arctic Cat, and some industrial equipment I use. This is why the kill switch exists. I can't tell you exactly where the voltage needed for spark is coming from after the key is turned off, I've never really cared enough to give it deep thought. dsguru has as good a theory as any.

The fan circuit is simple - nothing fancy - just a fuse, a temperature switch, and the fan, with wires connecting them all. The problem with a fan not shutting off can only be the temp switch, which is not the same switch that turns on the red warning light (its right beside it on the thermostat housing), or a wire short.

The phantom ds starting - if you suspect your tether kill switch, then re-wire it. It should only control ignition power, not all power like the key, so if its wired like this then it can't be the problem. This sure sounds screwy though - positive power is switched by the solenoid, which is actuated by a coil switched by the starter button and the key switch is the source.

Quick Reply: A lemon?