CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

How do I change the oil, on my DS650?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do I change the oil? Do I drain it from the crankcase, and the oil tank, and then fill the tank at the top? This is my first time. Where Do I fill the crankase at? I bought Castrol GTX 10w40, is that a good oil?

Also, I didn't buy a new filter, is it ok to wash it and put it back in, and buy a new one for my next oil change? Anything else I need to do, tell me

Old 05-27-2002, 05:54 PM
Trailblazer

Yea read the owners manual it tell you how

Old 05-27-2002, 07:36 PM
Trailblazer

cjm is correct, start with the owners manual it will tell you how. Its your quad but a new filter is the way to go.

Old 05-27-2002, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

i'll tell you this AdamScramblr400 have need to have alot of rags standing by. It's the messiest oil change i have ever had to do on any bike i've owned.

Old 05-29-2002, 02:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

1) Drain the tank - clean the plug well, re-tape it using teflon - skip first two threads, don't allow tape to get into the tank, it may clog tank screen later. Funnel it into a pan using a long skinny funnel.
2) Drain crankcase. let it drip for quite a while - the longer you wait, the less will be in the filter. Clean plug well, magnet included.
3) Change filter - this is where you will pack rags under it - expect a little oil here, as with any other bike filter cover.

If you're changing oil types, you'll want to drain the hose between the tank and motor too. This is what makes the mess. Don't do it until the tank is drained, then there is less pressure.

# 1 - Read the manual!!!

Old 05-29-2002, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

Adam:

You can order the filters from Bombardier direct. They will ship them to your house so you don't have to drive to your dealer. I wouldn't wash them. I have changed my oil a couple times now and each time use a new filter.

I first open the oil drain at the bottom of the quad. I would suggest stuffing paper towels around the outside of the skid plate to avoid oil getting between the skid plate and the frame on the edges.

I bought one of those drill pumps at Harbor Freignt Tools and some tubing from Home Depot (3/8" I think). I put the suction end of the tubing down the whole where the oil dip stick goes and the discharge end of the tubing/pump into a gallon milk jug. Turn the cordless Makita to high speed and start pumping. It takes a moment for the pump to self prime but it works great. I then get a butter tub and put it under the cap of the oil tank and unscrew the square head cap to drain the remaining fluid - about enough to fill a 12 oz glass or butter tub.

Once all the oil is drained, I remove the filter and clean the area. I then replace all the filter plugs and fill with oil.

Then, I crack the oil bleed screw, turn the key to on but the red kill switch to off. I crank over the engine (won't start since kill switch is in off position.) I bleed oil until it appears clear / new. I have not lost my prime yet on oil but, I will bleed oil everytime anyways.

Make sure your oil is warm so it drains easier.

I use Castrol also.

The manual is pretty good for this procedure. I think the oil pump makes the job much easier.

Old 05-29-2002, 05:35 PM
Trailblazer

What damn manual?? I've had both the factory service manual and parts manual for my 02 Baja on back order since April when I bought the quad. Bomb keeps telling me two more weeks. Anyone have any info on the availability of the 02 manuals?? Thx, Rich A

Old 05-29-2002, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

I have the '01 service manual. PM me if you need any specific info. There isn't much difference between the '01 and the '02.