CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

WOODS 45mm CARB???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of the aftermarket carbs will increase the horsepower. This is a given. The style of carb, and your knowledge of how the carb works should be the deciding factor of what to buy. All of the carbs will take time to fine tune. Some have been more available to us and the glitches have been worked out.

I have ran all different styles of carbs and have found that they all will increase throttle response and overall horsepower IF IT IS TUNED PROPERLY

I have heard that a builder is doing some tuning on the fuel injection for the DS. He has been working on it for quite awhile. This just goes to show that everything takes time to do it right. The first 42mm and 45mm to be put on the DS were no were close to being perfect and still arn't. The Lectrons and Edelbroks are going to need some help, but once they are tuned, I think They will prove to be a great carb.

I am not saying that one carb is better than another, or fuel injection. All that I am saying is know your carb and tune it properly.

James

Old 06-02-2002, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

DuneDevil the Edelbrock is tuned and ready to go. The hold up is no demand. It uses a different throttle cable bracket that Edelbrock has too custom make. The other is miss conceived idea that it size of 40mm is too small. The 40mm QS flows more air than the stock carb. When I added a pipe and K&N air filter I pick up about 2 HP top and about 5 HP Mid range. When I added the 40 MM QS I picked up about 2 HP top and about 5 HP mid range. All adjustments are done from the out side of the carb. It is very easy to start. If more people called they may make the bracket.

Old 06-02-2002, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider

BillDS650, I ran a Edelbrock on the 440ex. I had the first one off of the production line 2 years ago. I still have it, but do not run it right now. When I first received it, I had to do some tuning to it and order a new needle. After all of that, it ran flawlessly! I was very pleased with the Edelbrock. It is just that I am running the 760 DS and a 703DS now.

I know that most carbs come to the public set up so that they will run on a given machine. But, you can always tweak, fine tune, or what ever you want to call it. Every machine is diffrent, the lobes on cam might be worn different in between two bikes, what Iam trying to say is that a carb might run fine on one bike, but need to have something changed when put on a differnt bike sitting side by side . The given altitude might be just 700 ft different between city's which will make a difference.

Like I said in an earlier post, I have run the Kehin's, Mikuni's, Edelbrocks, and now I am running the Lectrons. I do not have a favorite! They all have worked for me. I might have had to do some more work on one then another, but they all worked great.

James

Old 06-02-2002, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

Chop, I sent you an e-mail. Did you get it?

My 45 is for sale, with or without the manifold.

Ok guys, I was convinced I was going to get the dual 39 FCR's. Now I'm hearing about a 48mm Lectron. Anyone have one of those?

AZSAND, since you and I live in the same type of climate do you suggest I stay away from the Lectrons? Maybe even the dual 40's that Dunedevil is running?

Thanks Al

Old 06-02-2002, 10:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Hey vagas with your knutz 703.Id go with the dual 39's the lectron just did not get to good of results for me.and for the record i have rode bills bike and love the edelbrock if they were more commited to the ds id have one on the shelf too!!

PS:I love spare parts it makes me feel secure in the fact that ill never be stranded!!!!

Old 06-02-2002, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

Hay Vegas if you want to try something different try dual Edelbrock 38'S. I have been thinking of trying a pair of 36’S my self after I get my head work on.

Old 06-03-2002, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

Hightower..I skiped on the cali trip and went to break in my motor this weekend. So far all i can say that i love this carb! The lectron carb is fairly easy i think to tune in. I orderd a heavy duty slide spring for it and with the the HPD billet thumb throttle the pull is just a tad harder than stock. I can jab the throttle and it dose not fall on its face that was a big plus in my book. The carb was a great addition to the rest of my mods. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2002, 02:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sand45 - I'm porting my head and intake manifold this summer, getting all I can out of a stock motor just for the fun of seeing how far I can go. How does the 44mm Lectron match up to the stock intake manifold, will the flow be running into a shoulder going into the manifold? I've heard the stock boot will stretch enough to work fine, but if there is a shoulder here then I will plan to either purchase a new manifold before porting, or smooth the transition if its possible. If I get the TM45, I'll be getting a manifold, if I get the 44mm Lectron then I'm not sure if its needed.
Glad you like it - its an amazingly simple in design, yet I think a lot of engineering went into the design of the metering rod. I like it.

Old 06-03-2002, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider

I had my manifold ported to match. I just did it becuse my motor was all apart anyways. Thats a fairly inexpensive up grade might as well do it. That way you will get the MOST amount of power out of your mods.

Old 06-03-2002, 02:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

And your manifold is the stocker? If so, then cool!

Quick Reply: WOODS 45mm CARB???