CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Coolant leak! help...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That weep hole runs up, then in between 2 seals back to back on the water pump shaft(1 seal backs the coolant side & the other seal backs the oil side).If water is coming out of that hole then the seal closer to the impeller is leaking.........
With 2 seals back to back(and a weep hole in between),it would take awhile before the water could mix with the oil,I would think you would lose most of the coolant before it could make it past the second seal.
Jeff

Old 06-03-2002, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

jeffnrivercity, Is it a major job to replace the water pump seals? I haven't lost very much coolant at all. Just a couple of small drips, then it stops. I think it's just the water pump housing o-ring needs to be cleaned and re-greased with a suitable o-ring grease/lube. I assume you would have to drain the crankcase oil and coolant to replace the waterpump seals? Do you have to split the case to change the seals/waterpump? Should I replace the waterpump seals?

Old 06-03-2002, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

Its not to hard to replace the seals.You just have to pull the side cover,the back gear just snaps off,then the shaft just slides out.
If you put the DS on its side you can change the seals with out changing the oil
Jeff
seals pic

Old 06-03-2002, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Jeff!, BTW your link to the Seals pictures didn't work....

Old 06-03-2002, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Hurycne,New update: Well, it's not the water pump housing o-ring that's leaking. I cleaned and re-greased/lubed the outside o-ring with o-ring lube, after a short trail ride this afternoon, I still have a small leak from the weep hole after she warms up! I guess I need to replace all the water pump seals now. It looks like there is at least 2 seals at least maybe more. The guy at my bomb dealer said there was only one seal and o-ring. So I ordered those. It looks like there might be more than 1 seal though. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance....
Hurycne, did you find the source of your leak yet?

Steve

Old 06-04-2002, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

buttfungus,
There are two seals...maybe only one is bad,but you might as well change both[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
They stack on top of each other,with the weep hole in the middle.
One holds the coolant,and one holds the oil back,if either seal goes bad you will have either oil or coolant come out of the weep hole.
Jeff

Old 06-04-2002, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the update Steve. I havent putmy motor back together yet but I am changing the seals anyways. Right up upgrade choises are swirling in my head since the motor is apart!

Old 06-04-2002, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks again Jeff! I really appreciate your help! Hurycne, big bore? 703..760...,dual carbs...???? come on you can do it! It's just money!

Old 06-04-2002, 10:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If I ever get another drip from my pump housing, I know to replace the seal now! Thanks guys!

Old 06-04-2002, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Buttfungus, and Hurycane, like 14mins said, you guys better have those engines back together by June 29th, I'm looking forward to seeing you guys there, If I can make it. I'm gonna need some help dialing in my bike on the 29th too (maybe scooby can help, he must know a lot about tuning by now!)

Quick Reply: Coolant leak! help...?