CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

CDI Application

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 06:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I called Alba Action Sports about there CDI unit we've been discussing here latly and they tell me they have one available for the Standard DS-650 but not the Baja. Can you guys shed some light on the differances between the two systems and who may have a box available for the Baja.
By the way, some of you should quit your day jobs and replace some of the knucleheads I talk to every time I call one of these outfits, heck, if it wasn't for some of you, I might concider doing something I never have, "leave it stock" NOT............thx guys, Rich A

Old 06-06-2002, 07:25 PM
Pro Rider

Rich, the cdi's are the same, the connector on the outside is what is different.

What I did is this. I am kind of paranoid about ruining something so if it sounds like over kill it probably is.

The actual little metal connectors inside the plastic connector fit together perfect. One is male and the other is female.

So, I dissconnected all the little metal connectors from the plastic connector. I used a paper clip and you just release the little prong from the plastic. Anyway, so I released all the wires from both connectors and then I connected the wires one at a time and I used heat shrink tubing around them, then I wrapped each individual connection with electrical tape and then when they were all done, I wrapped the whole bunch of them with electrical tape. I have had it done since early february and not a problem since.

I used the woods cdi and the wiring color code is as follows:

Baja________________Wood Racing
Red-violet__________Red
Black-yellow________White
Black_______________Black or Blue
White-green_________Orange
Black_______________Black or Blue
Green not used

I am not sure if the color code for the alba box would be the same or not. I am sorry if this sounds confusing, if you have a question please ask.

Bat

Old 06-06-2002, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry that was spaced a lot nicer when I typed it out, but it must not let you have all those spaces. I will see if I can fix it.

Oh, and by the way I kept the stock box and both connectors so that if I ever need to I can put the stock one back on with its connector and no one will ever know.

Bat

Old 06-06-2002, 07:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Heat shrink tubing - nice. I love the stuff! Do it right, or not at all, I always say...no overkill here.
Soldering wires is my favorite, it will never fail or oxidize between the wires, but I'll use crimp terminals too if need be, and always heat shrink either.

Old 06-06-2002, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

I would have soldered the connections, but I thought if I ever want to take it apart for something it is easier to do.

Bat

Old 06-06-2002, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Bat,
Thanks for the info, no overkill at all, I understand exactly what you mean. I build some pretty sweet Harleys and I'm disassembling Deutsch and other type wiring connectors all the time (running wires in bars and frames ext.)and doing exactly as you discribed. Same Ignition, Same Curve, Same Module, diffrent connector. Good to know. Alba owes me some money, I think I'll go with thier's. Tell me though, maybe I'm not understanding it completly. Why not utilise the stock connectors and just reconfigure the terminals if need be? Or is it the terminal on the Baja thats the culprit here? Thx again, Rich

Old 06-06-2002, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

The stock connector on the baja will not plug into the cdi. Jeff found a connector that would fit the aftermarket cdi, but I dont have very good resources here, so I just did what I did.

Bat

Old 06-06-2002, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

How about using the plastic part of the connector fron the stock Baja CDI on the new CDI? since you are removing the terminals anyway, can't you just put them in the original plastic plug so they snap together? Or maybe the terminals are different and won't fit. Just thinking out loud here...sure would be cool if it worked though.

Old 06-06-2002, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Jeff, that is what I had hoped for. But not the case.

The cdi terminal for the baja is integrated into the housing. You would have to destroy the cdi to get it apart and then it would probably be broken anyway. When I ordered mine I thought this will be simple, but when I pulled the stock cdi off and found the connector was an integrated part of the whole unit I was disapointed.

I hope that explains it, it is kind of hard to explain without pics.

Bat

Old 06-06-2002, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

What you really need is the wiring harness side connector off a non baja DS, then you could just remove the pins from the baja connector and put them into the non baja connector and plug it into the new cdi. I think that is what Jeff did on his, but I am not sure.

Bat

Quick Reply: CDI Application